Healthy Recipes to Keep You in the Best Shape!
Green Tea, Blueberry and Banana Smoothie Woothie
-3 tablespoons of water
-1 green tea bag
-2 teaspoons of natural honey (NB: you can replace with plain/sugar free/soy or regular milk)
-1- 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries
-3/4 cups of light vanilla soy milk
-Pour steaming water into a cup, add a tea bag and let it brew for 3 minutes
-Take out the teabag and stir honey until it dissolves
-Pour blueberries, banana and milk into blender (preferably one with an ice crushing ability)
-Add tea to blender and blend ingredients on the highest setting until smooth.
-Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
TIP OF THE WEEK
RECIPE OF THE WEEK: Penne with Brocolli Rabe and Ricotta
Feeling fancy? Try out this recipe with a group of friends and enjoy a lovely night in.
1 bunch broccoli rabe
12 ounces whole wheat penne
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 lean Italian turkey sausages (casings removed0
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
small pinch red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup part skim ricotta
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1. Boil a large pot of salted water. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 4 minutes
2. transfer the broccoli rabe to a colander and when it is cool enough to handle, chop into bite size pieces
3. Add the penne to the same pot of boiling water and cook until al dente ( i.e. firm but not soft. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water before draining the penne
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon until browned for 8 minutes
5. Add the chopped broccoli rabe and saute until tender for about 2 more minutes. add the tomato paste and cook, stirring until well combined for about 1 minute
4. Adjust the heat to low and add the pasta to the skillet. Toss to combine the ingredients, adding a little of the reserved cooking water if the mixture seems dry.
5. Stir in the ricotta and Parmesan, take the pan off the heat and toss well
6. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 6 servings
Nutrition facts per serving:
- calories: 342
- protein: 18g
- carbohydrates: 47g
- fat: 8g (1.8g saturated)
- fiber: 2g
LUNCH ON THE GO RECIPE: Turkey Pastrami Sandwhich
2 slices turkey pastrami
5 thin slices apple
2 tablespoons drained sauerkraut
1 thin slice reduced-fat Swiss cheese
1 large slice rye bread, cut in half
1. layer turkey pastrami, apple slices, sauerkraut and cheese between bread halves
(MAKE AHEAD TIP: Wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day)
- Calories: 184
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fats: 4g (saturated: 2g)
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 613mg
- Potassium: 61 mg
- Fiber: 3g
Mayowa Ogunsanya and Jessica Nkwocha
"Green Tea, Blueberry, and Banana Smoothie." : Organic Gardening. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Oct. 2013.
"Anorexia Symptoms and Effects." Anorexia. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Oct. 2013.
"Anorexia Nervosa." : Signs, Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Oct. 2013.
"EDV - Psychological Effects - Anorexia." EDV - Psychological Effects - Anorexia. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Oct. 2013.
"11 Facts about Healthy Living." Do Something.org. N.p.. Web. 16 Oct 2013.
"Did You Know? 12 Interesting Facts about Health, Fitness, & Nutrition." Inside Fitness Magazine. N.p., 23 Jun 2011. Web. 16 Oct 2013.
Melnick, Meredith. "20 Scientifically Backed ways to De-Stress Right Now." Huffington Post. N.p., 09 Sept. 2013. Web. 16 Oct 2013.
"10 Surprising Facts about Heart Healthy Exercise." Everyday Health. Everyday Health, 10 Jul 2012. Web. 16 Oct 2013.