Welcome to Sunshine Middle School!
By: Elizabeth, Kayla, Kate, and Humphrey
Statement of Need
Students struggle with their reading writing performances
At Sunshine Middle School 75% return to their homes with no supervision because of guardian's work schedules
83 % of students are enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program.
Our after school program wants to fulfill their nutritional needs.
Providing an after school program at Sunshine Middle School will provide students with a safe place to be with friends, with structured activities, supportive adults, and good nutrition that they desperately need.
About our Program
The after school program will be guided by two program coordinators, regular staff and volunteers from the University of California Berkeley’s teacher education program.
The after school program will run after school from 3:00 PM until 6:00 PM.
- Writing Activities
- Counselor Visits
- Dinner/Reading Time
- Book Bundle List (10-20 books each semester)
- Library Visits
- Volunteers assist students with reading during dinner time
- $30 Scholastic Book Fair gift card
- Journal Writing
- Group Free-Writes
- Ipad Apps (The World Creativity Kit, The Right Word, Writing Challenge)
- Guidance Counselor (bullying, sexual orientation, cultural differences etc.)
First year cost: $674,000
Every year after: $663,000
- Gift Cards