- There is about 1/2lb or 250g of table salt (NaCl) in the body of an average adult human.
- Lightning strikes produce ozone (O3) and help strengthen the ozone layer.
- Humans have been using chemistry since at least Ancient Egypt. By 1000bce human civilizations were using advanced forms of chemistry like extracting metals from ore, fermenting alcohol, and refining plant extracts as medicine.
- DNA is flame retardant.
- One bucketful of water contains more atoms than the Atlantic Ocean does bucketfuls of water.
- If you slowly pour a handful of salt into a completely full glass of water, it will not overflow. In fact, the water level will go down.
- Although oxygen gas is colorless (light refraction aside), both the liquid and solid forms are blue.
- One inch of rain is equal to 10 inches of snow.
- You have chemoreceptors (taste buds) on the inside of your cheeks too.
- Hydrofluoric acid is so corrosive that it will dissolve glass. Although it is corrosive, hydrofluoric acid is considered to be a ‘weak acid’.
What is a chemist
A chemist is a scientist who researches and experiments with the properties of chemical substances. They measure the effects of chemical compounds in various situations and study inter-chemical reactions.
When your a chemist you can...
Why do I want to be a chemist
- you get paid a decent amount of money
- you get to see the cool reactivity in the chemicals when yo combine them
- you have got to were like chemicalised suits sometimes
- you could be late night and early mornings