Jackson Family Weekly Update
January 8, 2023
Daily school attendance, even in elementary school, is vital to your child's success both academically and socially/emotionally. Being present in school and on time boosts student confidence, ensures students receive vital instruction in basic literacy and math skills, and helps them develop solid positive relationships with their peers and teachers. Jackson Elementary School has a goal of 95% or higher average daily attendance or ADA. At this time, our average ADA is 92.37%. Here are some strategies to help you have a successful and easy morning:
- Set a regular bedtime and morning routine.
- Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
- Develop backup plans for getting to school if something comes up. Call on a family member, a neighbor or another parent.
- Try to schedule medical appointments and extended trips when school isn't in session.
- If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to teachers, school counselors and other parents for advice on how to make your child feel comfortable and excited about learning.
- If you are concerned that your child may have Covid-19, call your school for advice.
- If your child must stay home due to illness, ask the teacher for resources and ideas to continue learning at home.
If your child is struggling with wanting to come to school, please contact your child's teacher, Jamie Schulze, our school Counselor, Mrs. Huntley or Mrs. Cliburn for assistance.
Click this link for this week's Counselor's Corner Newsletter. There is important information regarding January's character trait: Perseverance, school counseling, and other resources.
Kindness Week is February 13-17, 2023!
We are now taking Kindness Week T-Shirt orders. Pre Orders for kindness t-shirts/sweatshirts will be made through the Massive Graphics website. Shirts will be delivered to students to take home the week before Kindness Week. Spread the good vibes!!!! Use this link to order your kindness shirt and support the NPS Counseling & Advocacy Program.
In the month of January, we have the opportunity to recognize the men and women who serve on our local school board with School Board Recognition Month. It is a perfect time to for our district and community to come together to show appreciation for the hardworking men and women serving on our local school board.
President, Cindy Nashert, Vice President, Chad Vice, and board members: Dirk O'Hara and Alex Ruggers (a new board member will be elected at Monday's Board Meeting), are an integral part of the NPS family. They help develop important school policies, manage the annual district budget, campaign and advocate for school bond initiatives to provide vital funding to our schools and must make tough decisions on complex educational and social issues. Our school board ensures our students have every opportunity possible to make them successful members of our community and society. We are thankful for the hard work of our local school board members.
PTA Meeting - January 10th - 6:10 PM - Jackson Cafeteria
Start the new year involved in your child's school. We would love to have you attend a PTA meeting. Our next meeting is Tuesday, January 10. You do not have to be a PTA member to attend.
This Wednesday, 4:00 - 8:00, Tell them your teacher's name to win a slush party.
Arrival and Dismissal
- Please do not drop off your children prior to 7:25 AM unless they are participating in a special club or event that meeting in the morning. There is no supervision for students prior to 7:25 AM.
- Please remember to call the office by 2:00 PM if you need to change your child's typical way they go home. This allows us time to notify teachers and students of any changes.
- Please pick your children up by 3:10 PM. Teachers are off contract at 3:10 and there is no one available to supervise your students after 3:10 PM.
Please leave all toys, including Pokemon cards & other trading cards, at home.
We want your child to be successful in school and that means supporting and encouraging their whole development. While excelling in academic classes is important, children also need skills to take on learning challenges, make good decisions, manage strong emotions, and get along with others.
Please see below to learn more about what your child is learning next week and find guiding questions to assist with continuing the conversation at home. Families can also visit The Second Step Family Webpage to view full lessons and student handouts.
PK K 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th
Check out Norman Public School’s Prevention Resource library here!
Jan. 10th - McFarlin Mobile Food Pantry - Jackson North Parking Lot - 5:30 - 6:30 PM
Jan. 10th: PTA meeting - 6:10 PM - Jackson Library
Jan. 11th: Faculty Meeting: bring computer
Jan. 11th: Sonic Night
Jan. 13th: Popcorn Friday
Jan. 16th: No School: MLK JR. Day
Jan. 23rd: Marco's Pizza Night
Jan. 27th: Heather Montgomery Author Visit for PreK-3rd grade
Jan 30 - 3 - Cog-At Testing for 2nd & 4th Grades
Feb. 7th: STEAM Night
Feb. 10th: Friendship Day Parties
Feb. 13th-17th: Kindness Week
Feb. 20th: No School-Presidents Day
March 7th: Author Visit for 4th and 5th Grades
March 9th: Evening Parent Teacher Conferences
March 10th: No School: Morning P/T Conferences
March 13th-17th: Spring Break
Jackson Elementary School
Location: 520 Wylie Road, Norman, OK, USA