Math Stuff #12
Highlighting some Math Ideas and Strategies
86 PAGES OF MATH VOCAB
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 7) - 3RD GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Wrap up addition /subtraction fact fluency- Identify students who have not met expectations and need extra support-create a plan to meet their needs
* Continue Decomposing Facts
* Continue Multiplying by 10 and multiples of 10 (20,30,40,etc…) Do NOT use the phrase “put a 0 on the end” it forms misconceptions in student understanding
* The Relationship Between Multiplication and Division – See Unit 5 pg 148 & 175 – Problems can be solved by either operation if you can justify your thinking…
MORE ABOUT TALK MOVES
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 7) - 4TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Multiplication Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Investigation Unit 4 Session 1.1: Measurement Benchmarks – Create anchor charts of items that are about 1 cm, 1 yd, etc… Important note: Linear measurements are recording the measurement of a 1-d object or part of the object. This is important when differentiating between area and perimeter. Perimeter measures length, just one dimension. Area measures the space in the middle which has 2 dimensions, length and width. Make sure to do the discussion about “Why do our measurements differ?”
* Repeat Last Equation Wins or Racing Fractions from daily lessons
POSTER PROBLEMS "6 PHASES"
Teachers set the stage by leading an introductory discussion that orients students to the context of the problem.
2. Pose a Problem
Teachers introduce a mathematical way of thinking about the context and engage students in a preliminary approach that opens the door to the workshop phase.
The workshop starts with a more challenging and more open-ended extension of the problem. In teams, students plan and produce mathematical posters to communicate their work.
4. Post, Share, Comment
5. Strategic Teacher-Led Discussion
6. Focus Problem: Same Concept in a New Context
CLICK LINK BELOW THEN CLICK ON THE TAB THAT HAS "PLUS VIDEOS"
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 7)- 5TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Multiplication/Division Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Mini-lessons for Math Practice – Comparing Fractions pg 24 – Do not use the “Extending the Activity” section at this time
* Support Activity #30: Money, Fractions & Decimals - See Eduphoria-Fact Fluency Tab – 5th Grade Fluency pg 279
* Repeat Support Activity #27: Fraction Race Game from Last week and/or Wipe Out Game from week 5