First Grade Fever
Bear Creek Elementary Weekly Newsletter: September 15-19
Inside Scoop- What Are We Learning this Week?
~ Short "a" words (_at, _an) and High Frequency (HF) Words
~ Daily 5 strategy: Read to Self and Read to Someone
~ Text Connections (Text-to-Self, Text-to-Text, Text-to-World)
~ Spelling begins this week!! Spelling Tests will be every 2 weeks while we study short vowel words; the test over short "a" and HF words will be on Friday, September 26!!
- This weeks spelling words: bat, sat, hat, that, can, man, ran, fan, like, see, my, by, you, she, is, and
~ Monday: Math Assessment over last weeks homework concepts
~ Number Sense
~ Focus Math Vocabulary: More, Less, More Than, Less Than
~ Properties of soil and rocks
~ To give students a wide variety of rock types to observe, we are asking that each
student collects 3-4 different rocks varying in size, shape, texture, and color.
Please send your rock selections by Tuesday, September 16.
~ What is a leader?
Monday: International Dot Day!
We will be celebrating Dot Day by partaking in a variety of Dot related activities. We will kick off the celebration by reading The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds. Other activities will include: sorting and graphing M&M's ("dots") by color, creating a special "What I want to be When I Grow Up" dot for our 1st grade tree, creating a picture out of a dot, and more!
Spelling City is a website where you can find each week's spelling list. The website also has fun activities to help your child practice spelling words. To access this resource follow the following steps:
- Go to: First Grade BCE
- Scroll down to the section labeled: "Vocabulary and Spelling Lists"
- Look for the lists titled "Kindergarten Review" and "Short "a" -at -an".
- If you have not already sent headphones (no ear buds) to school with your child, please do so this week. They will need headphones to participate in many of the iPad activities we will partake in throughout the year, including the iStation assessment we will be completing this week.
- Your child may be assigned reading homework out of their Red Reader, which is the Language Arts textbook we use in class. If your child brings their Red Reader home, please make sure it is sent back to school the next day.
- Classes will go to the library once a week. Students will need to return their current library book before they will be able to check out a new one.
- Don't forget to send your child's rock selections to school by Tuesday for science!!
- Math homework will continue this week; homework must be completed nightly and returned to school everyday.
DON'T MISS: 1:1 Parent Showcase
Thursday, Sep. 18th, 6-7:30pm
401 Bear Creek Dr
Side Notes from PTA
- Can you grant a teacher's wish? Choose a wish off the gumball machine in the foyer and help fulfill a need for one of our BCE classrooms.
- Send in your PTA membership form and volunteer t-shirt order today. T-shirt orders are due by 9/19.
- World's Finest Chocolate sales begin Monday, September 22nd. In order for your child to bring home a box, you must send in a signed permission form.