Toms River High School East
October 3, 2022
First week of October here we come....
It should be a great week and a nice ending with our first Pep Rally on Friday. Reminder we are off from school on Wednesday in observance of Yom Kippur. Thursday evening we will be hosting the OCSCA College Fair, it is a HUGE event for any student interested in going to college, stop by!
In honor of the Week of Respect which is designed by our Anti- Bullying Specialist, Mrs. Lulias and Character Club, run by Mrs. Pennell, to promote kind and respectful behaviors in school there will be:
- Quotes over the loudspeaker
- Spirit Week- See below
- Wall of Respect- We will be posting a big banner where students can write what Anti-Bullying means to them. It could vary from inspirational quotes to symbols of respect.
Congratulations to Nicholas DeNardo for being recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. He was being recognized for demonstrating outstanding potential for academic success.
"These students represent a valuable national resource; recognizing their accomplishments, as well as the key role their schools play in their academic development, is vital to the advancement of educational excellence in our nation."- National Merit Scholarship Corporation
Nicholas is pictured with his School Counselor, Mrs. Millard.
7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
This month we will begin focusing on Habit # 1: Being Proactive. You can help support this habit at home by recognizing the language your child is using and encouraging a proactive mindset:
- I'll try
- That's jus the way I am
- There's nothing I can do
- I have to
- I can't
- You ruined my day
- I'll do it
- I can do better than that
- Let's look at all our options
- I choose to
- There's gotta be a way
- I'm not going to let your bad mood rub off on me
Create your own weather video! This video explains the power of a proactive mindset!
East Band Alumni- Message from Mr. Miller and Mr. Strohmetz
Dear fellow East Raider Alumnus,
As an Alumni of Toms River High School East Marching Band, we invite you to perform on the field at Vincent J Dvorak field! On Friday, October 14, Mr. Douglass Miller and Mr. Brian Strohmetz, will be leading an alumni band made up of multiple generations of the Marching Raiders! Based on your preference, band alumni are welcome to play in the stands, and even perform after our field show alongside our current members, as well as our future members!
If needed, we will do our very best to provide you with an instrument so you can relive those glory days of marching with the Marching Raiders!
For more information on how to register for this truly memorable event, please click on this link: Here
Staff Shout Outs!
Mrs. Carter has been a nurse at High School East since 2004. Mrs. Carter is always able to provide quick and appropriate responses for critical and emergent situations. She approaches all scenarios with kindness and in a calm and professional manner. She has sat on the 504 Team in her commitment to support various student needs. She was able to navigate the past two school years during the COVID pandemic where the nurses office was the busiest it has ever been! Mrs. Carter is always positive and a joy to work with on a daily basis. We will miss you Mrs. Carter!
Mr. Hughes was using Blooket ( modern classroom review tool) with his Mathematics classes this week to review for an upcoming quiz. He allowed students to work in comfortable seating around the classroom. Mr. Hughes's classroom has a calming vibe when you walk in and students were enjoying their Math review! Great job Mr. Hughes.
Ms. Ellerson's AP Physics class was participating in a cool lab connecting motion to math! Students used their movement down the hall and had to match the graph on the Chromebook. Students saw first hand the connection between speed and slope! Great work!
Mrs. O'Donnell was instructing her Psychology class this week with enthusiasm. Students learned about the differences between longitudinal and cross sectional studies. Students were asking thought provoking questions and interested in this process! Awesome!
Mrs. Shaughnessy's students were working on job skills in her classroom when I popped in. Students in the 18-21 year old program were working on skill sets such as folding clothes and properly stacking them, making silverware rolls and sorting. Thanks for having me in!
1) The guidance counselors will be meeting with seniors during their Phys Ed classes to provide them with college information and an unofficial copy of their transcript. Seniors are also being asked to complete a senior questionnaire. The responses gathered will be used to present workshops to help guide students through their educational and career planning.
2) The PSAT is on Tuesday, October 25, 2022 for 10th & 11th graders. No registration is required. English teachers will be distributing PSAT student guides to the students.
3) The PSAT is almost here! The Princeton Review knows that students want to do their best. They will be hosting “PSAT Week” from October 3rd to October 6th, discussing strategies for the PSAT, National Merit Scholarship Qualification, and how the test fits into the college application process.
4) Financial Aid Night is on October 26, 2022 from 6:30pm-8:30pm in the HSE Student Center. Flyers will be mailed home to all seniors.
2022 Financial Aid Night - TR.pdf
5) The OCSCA College Fair is on Thursday, October 6, 2022 @ 6:00pm in the HSE Student Center & Gymnasium.
College Night at the Jersey Shore 22.pdf
6) The SAT is on November 5, 2022. Registration deadline is 10/7/22. Register at www.collegeboard.org
7) College/University representatives are coming to HSE to conduct information sessions. Please sign up in Guidance. For a full list of the Colleges and Universities visiting our Guidance office please our College and Career website or click on the link: College Rep visits
Parent Portal-Genesis Parent Night
Are you having trouble navigating Parent Portal or can't sign in? Come to the media center on October 20th (Change in Date) at 6pm. We will be giving a presentation in ENGLISH and SPANISH to help you!
Chat with the Principal
Thank you to the parents that attended the Google Meet chat this month. Save the date
( October 17th @ 9am) for the next Chat with the Principal: meet.google.com/toh-iuxw-bst
Good Neighbor Day!
Mrs. Rankin and the Student Council students handed out over 80 mums to the East neighborhood. We want to thank our neighbors for being part of our school community and understanding of what it takes to live next to a High School of 1500 students!
Thank you to MORANO TOURS for the monetary donation to our student fund! We appreciate you!
If your business is interested in making a donation please reach out! We can advertise you on our social media ( almost 3,000 followers on Instagram) : Eanders@trschools.com