Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Monday, February 15 - No school for staff and students; Family Day holiday.
- Friday, February 19 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework). Jersey Day...wear your favorite team jersey or Aspen Grove shirt!
- Wednesday, February 24 - Pink Shirt Day (Anti Bullying day). Learn more at: http://pinkshirtday.ca/
- Thursday, February 25 - Pizza Hut Fun Lunch for those who preordered. Please remember that the canteen is closed on Fun Lunch days.
- Wednesday, March 2 - Report cards come home
- Thursday, March 3 & Friday, March 4 - Teacher's Convention; no school for students
- Monday, March 7 & Wednesday, March 9 - Student Led Conferences (Information being sent home in a few weeks).
Site Enrollment Letters: Thank you to those who have looked over the package sent home earlier this week and have returned your signed school enrollment letter. Returning this letter as soon as possible helps our school (and the new school) immensely for planning for the 2016/2017 school year. If you have any questions about the package that was sent home I can do my best to answer them, or feel free to call or stop by the office to discuss any questions or concerns. Please have all signed enrollment letters sent in early next week.
Science Materials: In March we will be beginning our science studies around "Building Things". It is a really engaging unit that blends science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) and literacy all in one! As part of the unit we are asking that students bring in some recyclable materials that we can reuse for our building tasks. We don't want to be overrun with materials, so we are asking each student to bring in no more than 3-4 items PLUS 3-4 paper towel or toilet paper tubes. Some examples of great recyclable items could include: cereal boxes, kleenex boxes, plastic containers, clean milk jugs, etc. Please save your items and beginning sending them in during the first week in March.
1) Literacy: This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about June & Huey and Ike on His Bike. Then have them tell you what sound these characters likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. June and Her Pet Mule Huey (long u: u__e, ue, ew) and Ike on His Bike: (long i: i__e, ie, __y, igh).
2) Sight Words: Our new sight words of the week were "like", "time", and "find". Feel free to make new flashcards with these words to add to your current collection for Star Homework practice. These words all have an open o at the end. Have your child teach you what this means. A new set of our latest flashcard will be coming home in the next few weeks.
3) Math: We celebrated the 100th Day of School this week and that means we did A LOT of counting and working with the number 100! Have your child show you how they can count to 100 by 5's and 10's. But most importantly have them teach you how numbers are patterns that happen over and over...even after the number 100!