Human Resources Newsletter, May Edition 2020
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
*Please see the FFCRA Flyer and Leave Request Form below.
For questions, contact Christi Mimbs @ mailto:Christi.Mimbs@bcsdk12.net or 478.765.8558 or
Ed Aaron @ mailto:Edwin.Aaron@bcsdk12.net or 478.765.8515
FY21 Part-time Employment Contracts
For questions, contact Lewanna Stubbs @ mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or 478.765.8538
Join Us for a Virtual Job Fair
The Human Resources Department will hold a Virtual Job Fair April 29-May 6, 2020. Candidates will be asked to apply for vacancies for the 2020-2021 school year. Qualified candidates will be asked to complete a virtual interview and speak with principals about filling those positions. Applicants may apply for positions now at https://bcsdk12.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.
For questions, contact Melanique Floyd @ mailto:Melanique.Floyd@bcsdk12.net or 478.765.8586
Educators Wanting to be Released from their Contracts
We often get the question, "What qualifies a release from my contract?" The Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) has established the following criteria as allowable reasons to be released from your contract:
- Transfer of a spouse that requires an unreasonable commuting distance
- Documented illness or illness in the immediate family which requires you to care for a family member and prevents you from performing your duties
- Promotion in the field of education (reasonable increase in pay, prestige, and responsibility)
Educators may choose to break their contract with the district without penalty from the GaPSC prior to June 15th but they will be assessed a $800 fee by the district. After June 15th, educators breaking their contract will be reported to the GaPSC if they do not meet the criteria above. Decisions to allow educators to be released from their contracts will be made by HR. Please refer these inquires to Ed Aaron for approval.
For questions, contact Ed Aaron @ mailto:Edwin.Aaron@bcsdk12.net or 478.765.8515
Frontline (AESOP) Support During a Power Outage
- Employees now have 48 hours after the absence start time to enter their absences in Aesop. i.e. an employee can go to Aesop any time before 4/15, 7:29 am to enter a 4/13 absence starts 7:30 am. This is the latest time a user can enter their absences in Aesop. After this cutoff time, they will need to contact secretaries to enter absences for them.
- For users who still have power outage after the 48 hours absence cutoff time, if their phone is working, they can use the Frontline mobile app. The mobile app login is the same as the website login. The school code for this app is 7354.
- The phone system login is different than the website login; it requires users to know their phone # and pin #. Users can look up the pin # on this website https://www.aesoponline.com/forgot_pin.asp. To call the Absence Management system, call 1-800-942-3767. You’ll be prompted to enter your ID number (followed by the # sign) and then you PIN number (followed by the # sign). Human Resources Aesop Support.
Over the phone you can:
- Create an absence – Press 1
- Review upcoming absences – Press 3
- Review a specific absence – Press 4
- Review or change your personal information – Press 5
For questions, contact Ingrid Brown @ mailto:Ingrid.Brown@bcsdk12.net or 478.765.8571
PAA Remote Proctoring Availability (GACE PAA at Home) and New Preparation Resources
We are very pleased to share that the GACE PAA will soon be available to take at home or at other secure locations while test centers are closed due to COVID-19. We anticipate that this solution, GACE PAA at Home, will be available mid-May 2020.
This remote proctored option for PAA is identical in content, format, and on-screen experience to those taken at a test center, at the same price, and uses the same scoring criteria, scoring process, and score scale.
The GACE PAA at Home test delivery method is different. Following is information you should know. Testing will take place through test takers’ personal computers at home or at other secure locations.
- Test sessions will be monitored through the use of live human proctors and artificial intelligence technology.
- The entire test session will be video recorded.
- The PAA testing supplier, ETS, is employing multiple best-in-class security measures that use both real-time human monitoring and artificial intelligence technology to guard against any suspicious activity and intervene, if necessary.
Registration for the GACE PAA at Home will begin mid-May 2020, with actual testing to start shortly after registration begins. Please watch the GACE website at www.gace.ets.org for availability of this new testing option.
Regarding new preparation resources, the Kahn Academy, in collaboration with ETS, is offering free, in-depth instructional resources in reading, writing, and math to assist with PAA test preparation. This online resource includes diagnostic tests, instructional videos, authentic interactive practice tests, and study plans to help prepare for the GACE Program Admission Assessment.
In addition and as a response to COVID-19, ETS has reduced the price of all GACE Interactive Practice Tests by 30% and increased the time allowed to access the tests, including those for PAA.
Full information about GACE PAA Preparation Resources, including those of the Kahn Academy, is available at https://gace.ets.org/prepare/materials/700.
If you have questions about the GACE program, please email GACEsupport@ets.org.
Retirees Returning to Work in FY21
Important Notice to Principals, Directors and Supervisors:
Please be advised that TRS retirees who have been approved by TRS to return to work in a part time status at 49% will not be allowed to work days or hours outside of their pre-approved contract days.
For example: Retirees will not be approved to attend collaborative-planning, training classes, etc. that take place prior to their contract start date.
Retired members of TRS have the ability to be employed on a part-time basis under certain terms and conditions. TRS reviews all retiree employment on a monthly basis. Additionally, TRS performs detailed audits of TRS retirees’ employment records from both the Department of Audits and the Department of Labor. All discrepancies are investigated and, if necessary, benefit payments are terminated and/or funds collected for benefits wrongfully paid.
For questions, contact Regina Stokes @ mailto:Regina.Stokes@bcsdk12.net or 478.765.8563
Planning to Retire in 2020?
If you are planning to retire in 2020, please contact Regina Stokes, Retirement Administrator, at mailto:Regina.Stokes@bcsdk12.net or 478.765.8563 to schedule a retirement meeting. You must also submit a Resignation/Retirement Form in PowerSchool. (See link below for instructions on submitting the Resignation/Retirement form)
Employees who are members of the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia (TRS) should utilize the website at http://www.trsga.com or call 1-800-352-0650 to request an Estimate of Benefits with their anticipated retirement date. Please be advised that due to the large volume of retirements at the end of each school year, the deadlines for summer retirements with TRS are:
- June Retirement: March 31
- July Retirement: April 30
- August Retirement: May 31
*TRS recommends submitting your application as early as six (6) months, no later than two (2) months, prior to your date of retirement to avoid any delays of monthly retirement checks and possible interruption of health coverage.
Employees who are members of Public School Employees Retirement System (PSERS) are encouraged to apply for retirement as early as three (3) months prior to their retirement date to avoid any delays of monthly retirement checks and possible interruption of health coverage. PSERS employees should call 1.800.805.4609 or visit http://www.ers.ga.gov to request an Estimate of Benefits with their anticipated retirement date.
Employee Referral Bonus Program
Employees who refer a "Teacher" candidate will receive a $1000 Referral Bonus if that candidate is hired and works in the district for a full year. Reach out to friends and family interested in teaching and tell them about the great things happening in Bibb! Please see the attached flyer for guidelines.
BCSD Human Resources
Dr. Mack Bullard, Assistant Superintendent
Each student will demonstrate strength of character and will be college or career ready.
The Bibb County School District develops a highly trained staff and an engaged community dedicated to educating each student for a 21st century global society.