Tuesday, January 23, 2018
School Board Appreciation Month
School Report Card . . .
Linked below you will find a copy of the State of Texas 2016–17 School Report Card for Bennett Elementary. This is a report required by the Texas Legislature and prepared by the Texas Education Agency. The report provides information concerning student performance on the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®), as well as information on student enrollment, class size averages, and financial expenditures. A more complete report about Bennett Elementary, the Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR), is also available on the linked page.
Staffing Changes . . .
Please welcome Kristi Reeves as an additional STC teacher. Kristi has been at Dowell in STC and is now serving at Bennett fulltime.
Please welcome Marisol Cortes as an art student teacher through March 2.
News from the Nurse . . .
We would like to remind all parents of the importance of keeping sick children home. When a child comes to school ill, he/she can spread illness by coughing, touching his/her nose/mouth and then touching objects that other students come in contact with. Remember that fever is not the only sign of true illness and that fever is usually a late sign of an illness, or an illness that is progressing. If your child is out sick, remember to always send in a note from the doctor or a parent note.
MISD Health policies are in place to help insure a healthy school where students can learn and grow. Please take a moment to review the exclusions that are listed below.
Guidelines for Returning to School after an Illness
In order to minimize the number of children that are ill, we ask you to please consider the following guidelines when making your decision to let your child attend school or return to school after an illness.
A student with any of the following symptoms must be excluded from school until such time as the student is free from symptoms.
- Temperature of 100.0 degrees or more. Student must be fever free for 24 hours, without medication, before re-entry (Texas Administrative Code)
- Vomiting (not related to a single event such as gagging, positioning, mucus, running after eating, or eating spicy food) Student must be symptom free for 24 hours, without medication before reentry.
- Diarrhea, of two or more loose or watery stools; all students must be diarrhea free for 24 hours without the use of medications before re-entry (Texas Administrative Code).
- Pain and/or swelling at angle of jaw
- Undetermined rash over any part of the body accompanied by fever
- Under diagnosed scaly patches on the body or scalp
- Red, draining eyes
- Intense itching with signs and symptoms of secondary infection
- Open, draining lesions or wounds
- See McKinney ISD Lice guidelines
- A vaccine preventable illness in question will require a physician's note for re-entry (pertussis, mumps, measles, etc.).
- For any infection, antibiotics must be taken for a minimum of 24 hours prior to re-entry to school.
These guidelines have been designed to give your child adequate time to recover, as well as keep the majority of the students, faculty and staff as healthy as possible.
Hand washing is one of the easiest and best ways to prevent the spread of disease. Direct contamination of your mucus membranes (eyes, nose and/or mouth) is how many infectious diseases enter your body. So let's work together to decrease the risk of contracting and spreading illnesses by following these three simple rules:
- Wash your hands when they are dirty and before you eat.
- Do not cough or sneeze into your hands (use your sleeve, elbow or shoulder instead).
- Never put fingers in your eyes, nose or mouth.
Remember...you are responsible for keeping yourself healthy!! Be as nice to yourself as you are to others.
Friday, January 26: Friday Live at 2PM (Please note this time change so PTO has time to introduce their upcoming fundraiser.)
Tuesday, January 30 and Wednesday, January 31: 5th Grade Spinal Screenings during PE
Thursday, February 1: Gifted and Talented Referral Deadline for 3rd-5th grade
Thursday, February 8: Collin County Spelling Bee
Thursday, February 22: Open House for Incoming 6th graders 7:15PM at all MISD Middle Schools
Tuesday, February 27: Bennett Elementary Watch DOGS presentation at MISD School Board
Gifted and Talented Parent Meetings for Current 5th Graders
Monday, Feb 12 6:00-7:00PM Scott Johnson
Thursday, Feb 15 11:30AM-12:30PM Cockrill
Thursday, Feb 15 6:00-7:00PM Faubion
Tuesday, Feb 20 8:30-9:30AM Evans
Tuesday, Feb 20 8:30-9:30AM Evans
Tuesday, Feb 20 6:00-7:00PM Dowell