Integration of Faith and Learning
Tips, resources and information for Christian Teachers
How do we live out our faith in a setting that prohibits us from talking about it?
Let us not love with words and speech, but in action and in truth. This is how we know we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence. 1 John 3:18-19
6 Stages of Faith Development
1. Intuitive-Projective Faith
5. Conjunctive Faith
6. Universalizing Faith
Separation of Church and State - The legal side of being a Christian teacher in a public school
The topic of faith in schools is a tricky one. Below are some of the big ideas when it comes to legal issues of faith in the classroom
- Teachers may teach about different religious beliefs and their sacred texts but they cannot teach a religion with devotion or as a singular truth
- Teachers may participate in religious activities if they are before or after school and if they participate as an individual, not as a representative of the school
- Teachers may not display holiday decorations with religious symbols in the classroom
- Teachers cannot share their faith with students
Go to the following two links for more information on religion in public schools
Tips for Christian Teachers in public schools
"Students have more religious freedom than we as teachers do. Our job is to make sure that all of our students feel comfortable, respected, and accepted in our classrooms. The best and only truly legal way to express our spiritual beliefs in school is through the witness of how we live our lives; striving to be modest in appearance and attitude, honest and full of integrity, avoiding gossip, helping others whenever we can, showing patience and respect to our students, and sharing the joy and peace that we have found in God through a positive attitude."
- Pray for your students
- Teach good values
- Live out your faith
- Practice patience and encouragement
- Try to see all students with the knowledge that they are children of God
The following article is a wonderful message from the personal perspective of a teacher who has been there. This website also offers devotions for Christian teachers and provides a community of people who are all in similar situations.
Below are some text resources in our own library that can be helpful in understanding the relationship between religion and education
Resources For teachers at a Faith Based school
- What might be the hardest part about not being able to share your faith with your students?
- Why is it important to have Christian teachers in public schools even though they cannot discuss their faith?
- What are some practical ways you as teacher can live out your faith in the classroom?
- How can you use Fowler's Stages of Faith Development to best model your faith at a level that is appropriate for your students?