The Grassland Biome
by Tahj Callier
The grassland biome are lands dominated by grass rather than large shrubs or trees. There are two types of grasslands tropical and temperate. Spanning over a period of 2.5 million years. Mountains rose in western north america and created a continental climate favorable to grasslands. Ancient forests declined and grasslands became to be wide spread. Since then, grasslands expands in range with hotter and dryer climates prevailing worldwide.
Facts about Grasslands....
- Grasslands are known as prairies, pampas, steppes, and savannas
- 25% of the earth is covered in a grassland biome
- There is a grassland biome in each continent except for Antarctica
- Tropical and temperate are two kinds of grasslands. tropical grasslands experience warm weather all year round while temperate grasslands are warm part of the year and cold during the other
- Forest fires are important for grasslands to ensure that invasive plants do not take over