Rocketry and Space
By: Jade Estrada
Aerospace Engineer Job Description
Aerospace Engineers work hard on providing air/space products. They use engineering tasks in the constructing, testing, and designing of missiles, spacecraft and aircraft. They test the adaptability of equipment and materials to aircraft manufacture and design. Also, Aerospace Engineers can propose improvements in techniques and in testing equipment.
Tasks and Duties
- Design and plan aerospace or aeronautical work to fit the demands.
- Coordinate/direct engineering activities such as fabricating, designing, modifying, and testing the aircrafts.
- Organize test methods, quality standards, testing methods, and dates of completion.
- Walk through environmental, operational, experimental, or stress tests on prototypes/models.
- Evaluate the data from reports.
- Conduct technical reports for later use.
- Evaluate proposals, project requests, or engineering data to figure out the feasibility, production time, cost, and productibility.
- Look over documents from customers and performance reports.
- Plan activities that involve resolving and investigating the customer's reports about technical problems with the vehicles.
- Manage records of performance reports to later look back on.
Education and Training
A bachelor's degree is needed and at least four years in the program. The Aerospace, Aeronautical and Astronomical/Space Engineering program provides the chance for people to use scientific and mathematical principles in the development, operational evaluation, and the designing of missiles, aircraft, and space vehicles, and contains the procedures for guidance, control, and the launching of space and air vehicles. Also, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is ranked number one on being the top program in the country for students going into this field.
The basis salaries are one of the highest of college graduates. $79,000 is the annual average salary for an aerospace engineer. $71,000 for employees in the beginning, after 5-10 years its is $85,000, workers with 10-20 years of experience make $102,000, and finally the salary of someone with 20 or more years in this field is $128,000.