Pine Hollow Middle School
Pine Hollow News: September 11, 2020
Pine Hollow Platforms
One thing we heard from several parents in our Start of School Survey was that there's still some confusion about the various portals and platforms we utilize. Because there's not one platform or portal that does everything we need, we utilize several. Here's a little info about how - and why - we utilize each of these platforms:
- At Pine Hollow, students and staff utilize most of the Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Meet, Voice, Classroom, Sites, etc) every single day.
- We use each of these apps for what they are designed to do. For example, Classroom is where we post assignments for students, and where students create and turn in work. Sites, on the other hand, is where we post general information for parents and students about each teacher and class. Each of these platforms is meant for different purposes, thus we have to use them both for different reasons.
- There is no single Google app that allows us to do everything, thus we utilize all these apps in different ways.
- Most of our teachers use Zoom to hold virtual classes, office hours, etc. Most teachers use Zoom instead of Meet because it is still seen as the superior software.
- HomeLink/Aeries is where we document and track attendance, grades, and other student/family information.
- iReady is the system our district uses to assess students on their Reading and Math levels.
- Students take iReady diagnostic exams throughout the year so we can measure their progress and growth.
- Some teachers utilize Remind so that they can communicate with students and parents via mass text message.
- This year our district adopted text messaging through SchoolMessenger, so we will soon begin texting school alerts via this system.
- This is also the system we utilize to make robocalls to parents.