By: Vivian Gibson
- Population 1,251,695,584
- 41% of people speck Hindi, 8.1% Bengali and 50.1% speck other languages.
- The head of state is President Pranab Mukherjeehead of government is Prime Minster Narendra Modi.
- India's type if government is a democracy.
- The capital of India in New Delhi.
History of India
Time Line of Events
- In 3500 BC The Settlement of the Indus River Valley
- In 3000 BC The Indus civilization appeared to have it's first signs of citys and towns.
- In 1500 BC The Aryans settle in India and rule for over five hundred years
- In 530 BC Persians invade India
- In 500 BC Buddhism was founded in India
- In 327 BC Alexander the Great invaded India
- In 269–232 BC Ashoka rules, takes over new territory, and spreads Buddhist throughout his land.
- AD in the 300s The Gupta Dynasty is founded in northern India.
- In the 900s Invaders from Turkey introduce Islam to the region.
- In 1398 Tamerlane invaded and destroys Delhi.
- In 1498 Vasco da Gama, a Portuguese navigator, was the first European to sail over to India.
- In 1500 Guru Nanak founded the Sikh religion
- In 1526 Babur begsn the Mughal Empire
- In 1542 Saint Francis Xavier was the first Christian missionary in India.
- In 1608 The British of East India Company lands its first ship in India.
- In 1632 people start to build the Taj Mahal.
- This is a time line about India from the 1800s till now.
- In 1849 the British started to govern India
- In 1857-1859 the east India company tried to fight against British resoling in the First War of Independence, the British forces won and took over rule of India from the East India Company.
- One million Indians soldiers fought along side with the British inWorld War I in 1914-18
- in 1920–30s Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru came around and lead the independence movement for the Indians freedom against the British.
- in 1947 india gained their independence from Britain and Nehru became the first prime minister of india.
- In 1947–49India and Pakistan separated into two countriesIndia and Pakistan fight over Kashmir
- In 1948 Gandhi is assassinated
- in 1965 India fought a second war with the Pakistians over Kashmir.
- in 1966 Indira Gandhi became India’s first female prime minister.
- in 1971 India and Pakistan go to war a third time.
- in 1974 India has their first atomic bomb in an underground test.
- In 1984 Indira Gandhi is assassinated by her bodyguards but her son Rajiv Gandhi became the next prime minister; a gas leak at a pesticide plant killed thousands and left more people disabled.
- in 1991 Rajiv Gandhi is assassinated
- 1997 Mother Teresa dies
- in 1999 A cyclone devastates the eastern state of Orissa, leaving at least 10,000 or more people dead.
- in 2000 india hits its one billionth citizen
- in 2001 An earthquake in Gujarat (A city in India) kills more than 30,000 people and more than a million people are left homeless. Also in 2001 India launched its first high-powered rocket.
- In 2004 A undersea earthquake in the Indian Ocean caused big tidal waves that kill more than 15,000 people in India and left thousands of people homeless. Also in 2004 Manmohan Singh became India’s first Sikh prime minister.
- in 2005 An earthquake in Kashmir killed 75,000 people and left more than 3.5 million people homeless. Also in 2005 bus services operate between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad for the first time in 60 years.
- in 2006 India and the United States sign a nuclear deal
- In 2007 India and Pakistan reach an agreement, to decrease the risk of an nuclear war. Also in 2007 Pratibha Patil became the first woman to be elected for president of India.
- in 2008 Terrorist attacks by the gunmen from Pakistan killed almost two hundred people in Mumbai.
- In 2014 India is declared polio-free. Also in 2014 India formed a new state called Telangana being India's 29th state.
dhurandhar. Sari. Digital image. Wikipeda. 1928. Web. 15 May 2016.
Flag of India. Digital image. Wikipeda. 3 Oct. 2011. Web. 13 May 2016.
Gerern, Steven. People with Paint on Them. Digital image. Wikipeda. 30 Mar. 2013. Web. 15 May 2016.
"Indus Valley Civilization." Ancient History Encyclopedia. Web. 15 May 2016.
Map of India. Digital image. Wikipeda. 6 Dec. 2013. Web. 15 May 2016.
Modi, Narender. More Details Narendra Modi Is the Current (15th) Prime Minister of India, since 26 May 2014. Digital image. Wikipeda. 10 Feb. 2015. Web. 15 May 2016.
"India." CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest, 2016. Web. 6 May 2016.
Pics, Jude. Indian Food. Digital image. Wikipeda. Web. 15 May 2016.
Sharam, Shalu. "Indian Clothes, What Women and Men of India Wear?" Holiday and Travel Guide to India. 05 Aug. 2012. Web. 15 May 2016.
"South Asia :: India." Central Intelligence Agency. Central Intelligence Agency, 29 Mar. 2016. Web. 09 May 2016.
Säätelä, TheDailyMeal.com Elsa. "What the World Eats for Breakfast." USA Today. Gannett, 02 Nov. 2013. Web. 15 May 2016.