Here's what's happening at Milan Elementary School!
Chromebooks and iPads are coming to MES as 1:1 technology program expands!
When the 2015-16 school year begins in August, all MES students in grades 3-5 will be issued a Chromebook for their personal use. Students in grades 1 and 2 will be issued iPad minis and each kindergarten student will get to use one of the iPads now owned by the school. Although students will be permitted to bring the Chromebooks home to complete homework, study, and do research, the iPads used by grades K-2 will remain at school.
Your child will be using both textbooks/workbooks as well as electronic devices. Rental fees for these devices will be included in your child's school fees which will be adjusted to compensate for the shift in emphasis from textbook-based to technology-based learning.
Instruction for parents on the use and care of these devices will be included in our school's "Meet The Teacher" night scheduled for August 3, 2015. Watch for more details on this annual event to come home in a letter in mid-July. In the meanwhile, we encourage you to check out The Chromebook Q & A Fact Sheet (G3-5) and/or the iPad FAQ's Sheet (K-2) by clicking the links below. This information will also be available on our school website at http://es.milan.k12.in.us/
For more Chrome book info see https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2FQ3JwwIYXTazJVYkp3Ul8tS3c/view?usp=sharing
For questions about the iPads go to https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2FQ3JwwIYXTWlJSUGI2OGNYdFU/view?usp=sharing
Grade 4 Hoosier Wax Museum
History came to life for fourth graders at Milan Elementary as they presented their First Annual Living Wax Museum on Thursday, May 7. Each student chose a famous Hoosier to research and then “brought them to life” for visitors by dressing in costumes to portray their famous Hoosier and using props and displays, including digital stories and posters to tell that person’s story. Examples of Hoosiers researched included Peyton Manning, Amelia Earhart, Larry Bird, Jeff Gordon, Johnny Appleseed, Orville Redenbacher and many others.
The exhibit was open to family, friends, and school staff during the morning.
State Representative Randy Frye visits MES
Don't miss our SPRING BOOK FAIR!
"Dine to Donate" at Versailles Subway on Friday, May 15!
The Versailles Subway is offering a great opportunity to help our school, at no additional cost to you, while enjoying a nice meal during their “Dine to Donate” event. They have pledged to donate 10% of their sales on Friday, May 15 to Milan Schools. All you have to do is be sure to print out and present the flyer found at the link below when you make your purchase.
Thank you for your support!
- Spring Book Fair - 1 day only, Monday, May 11, 4-7:30 p.m. (more info above)
- Last open swim - Wednesday, May 13.
- Making Strides Against Cancer Walk - Thursday, May 14.
- Awards Day - Thursday, May 21.
- Grade 3 Swim Race - Friday, May 22 @ 9:00 a.m.
- Grade 2 Swim Race - Friday, May 22 @ 12:30 p.m.
- No School on Memorial Day, Monday May 25.
- Grade 4 Swim Race - Tuesday, May 26 @ 9:00 a.m.
- Grade 1 Swim Race - Tuesday, May 26 @ 1:00 p.m.
- Grade 5 End-of-Year After-School Party - Tuesday, May 26
- Grade 5 Swim Race - Wednesday, May 27 @ 9:00 a.m.
- Last student day - Thursday, May 28.
- Please check our Lost & Found for misplaced items. Anything left in the box after school ends will be donated to charity.