--Peek at Our Week--Aug 15, 2022
Paonia K-8 School
We started the year off with a fun round of musical chairs...and a lot of hard work planning out an exceptional year!
The Paonia K-8 School Families,
If you are new to PK8, this is our weekly family newsletter, and it is called the Peek at Our Week! It will include school-wide information. Your classroom teachers will also provide classroom-specific information to you through their newsletters and communication methods. Once school begins, your teacher will explain his/her process to you.
On behalf of all of the staff of Paonia K-8, I want to welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year! I welcome and value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education, and I look forward to partnering and working with you and your children.
Another incredible and productive school year is about to start. Our skilled and devoted staff are planning and preparing activities, lessons, and educational experiences that align with our vision of inspiring lifelong learning for a positive future. We are welcoming a few new staff members into our building as well:
- Eileen Stewart as 5th grade homeroom, ELA, Social Studies and 6th grade ELA
- Jinny West-Morga as a Special Education para
- Ashley Pitcher as a Special Education para
- Galina Miller as Pre-K classroom para
I will be introducing our new staff members in more detail in a PK8 newsletter.
Our enthusiastic office team will register new families, order needed materials, and keep me in line. Our hard-working and conscientious custodians have spent the summer preparing our building. And, our much-appreciated PPO is gearing up to welcome families, provide volunteer opportunities, and offer other exciting events and programs. We are indeed a joyous and caring community with the common goals of nurturing responsible, caring students and promoting high-level learning.
Mr. Cox and I look forward to another year of partnering to bring our students, staff, and families an exceptional experience!
Don't forget to use our website and PPO page as a resource for information:
- Friday, August 5 : 8:00-4:00pm: PK8 Registration Day. Please register your child online as soon as possible in order to give us the most accurate count for planning. If your child is in Kindergarten - 5th grade, you are not required to come in. If you need to drop off items to the secretaries, need help with registration, or just want to come to say hi, feel free to stop by! Middle school students (6th-8th grade) need to come on August 5 to select their electives and get their locker assignments. The lockers will not have locks on them this year.
- Sunday, August 14: Chalk the Walk. Outside at our entrance, please write encouraging messages and draw pictures to welcome our students on their first day! Chalk will be provided.
- Monday, August 15: First day for all students and ½ of Kindergarten*
- Tuesday, August 16: First day for ½ of Kindergarten*
- Thursday, August 18: Back to School BBQ 4:30pm-6:30pm
Welcome to the PK8 family! We can't wait to see you!
Amelia Baldwin, Principal
Sunday, August 14
All day, anytime. We will have chalk outside the front doors. Write a message or draw a picture to welcome back our students and staff!
Monday, August 15
First Day of School!
Thursday, August 18
Mark your calendar for Back to School Night! More details to come.
Our Back To School BBQ is Thursday, August 18th, from 4:30pm-6:30pm on the playground field at the school. As is the tradition, the Paonia Fire Department will be cooking the hotdogs for us. This is a potluck style meal, so please bring the following items based on your family's last name:
· Last names A-G please bring 2 bags of chips
· Last names H-P please bring a salad/side dish that serves 10-12
· Last names Q-Z please bring a dessert that serves 10-12
The school will provide dinnerware, lemonade, and condiments. You may also want to bring a lawn chair. In case of inclement weather, we will move into the gym and cafeteria.
4:30pm-5:15pm: Families are invited to visit with their classroom teachers, our Paonia Parents Organization and all staff. The staff members that you visit with will give you a ticket that you can enter in the drawing for a prize!
5:15pm-5:30pm: General announcements out on playground field
5:30pm-6:30pm Eat and chat! Visit our PPO booth and visit with fellow families and teachers.
**Drawing at 6:15pm. MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN!**
SOME of the prizes are....
7th and 8th grade football interest meeting on 8/15 at 3:30. Practices start Tuesday 16th after school from 3:30pm-5:30pm.
7th and 8th grade volleyball interest meeting Monday 8/15 at lunchtime. Practices start Tuesday 6:15-7:30am.
Your sports physical must be complete to practice, so get those done before school starts!
School Lunch 2022-2023
Even if you do not plan to eat school lunch, please apply so that we have accurate data reported in order to qualify for the appropriate amount of school funding.
PLEASE fill out the district's free and reduced price lunch application:
Families will have to apply for free or reduced-price meals via the USDA's National School Lunch Program (NSLP). When you register for school, you will have the opportunity to apply. This information is not shared with the school.
Our Title 1 funding is determined by a qualifying free/reduced lunch percentages.
The PK8 Title 1 funds pay for homework club, childcare for PPO meetings, academic support staff, and much more!
This year, we do not have the Title 1 funds to support these activities due to families not applying for free/reduced lunches.
Therefore, we will use our PPO and building funds to pay for these services.
Even if you do not plan to eat school lunch, please apply so that we have accurate data reported for federal funding.
We appreciate the accurate information so that we can appropriately fund the support programs that help make our school incredible!