Oak Grove News
Weekly Update ~ February 29, 2016
Math Teams Place at Carmel Contest
On Saturday, February 27, the seventh and eighth grade math teams competed at the annual Middle School Math Contest at Carmel Catholic High School.
The eighth grade team consisted of Nathan John, Kevin Stone, Albert Sterner, Kaitlyn Brown and Constance Zanze. The team placed second in their division, while Nathan John received first place individual honors. This team may be the first Oak Grove group at this contest to place as seventh graders, and then again as eighth graders!
The seventh grade team consisted of Julia Hasler, Sebastian Ingino, Kevin Joseph, Desi Nanair and Jonathan Zhang. The team placed first in their division. Sebastian Ingino took home first place individual honors, while Desi Nanair took home second place individual honors in their division!
Congratulations to our Oak Grove mathletes on a job well done!
Music Man, Jr.
We had a lot of fun singing, dancing and acting out scenes to help us remember what to do in situations that are stressful. Most grade levels learned the song "Calm It Down!!" Ask your child to show you their moves!
Remember when you are feeling out of control or you're starting to get upset:
- NAME YOUR FEELING
- CALM DOWN
Have a great week!
Congratulations to all students who participated in Saturday’s Solo Ensemble event. The Judges were very impressed with your performances. Thank you for taking part in this great experience!
Flute students & Parents of Flute Students
Monday, Mrs. Merrill, a Flute teacher from LHS will come to visit the school to meet and greet the current flute players as well as discuss the challenges we face in striving for excellence on our instruments. Mrs. Merrill currently teaches at the high school and at a studio in Libertyville. You can find her info on our web page for private teachers. These beautiful instruments help fill out the sound of a full symphonic band, and play an integral role in the woodwind ensemble.
- Excellent performance last week! I am so pleased with your progress.
- BB reaches the 100 mark. This week two lesson groups in Beginning Band made it to song #100. Great job everyone. Look how far you have come in a few months time!
- Students may not have heard the songs they are trying to play out of the book. An easy way to help them succeed is to use the interactive website to listen to each song 1-2 times to improve their conception of how to recreate what they see on paper.
- Percussion auditions: Beginning Band members will have the opportunity to audition for one of four spots available. Some piano experience is helpful, but not necessary. Students interested in auditioning will get the audition materials from Mr. Jones this week on Thursday.
- Symphonic members, It is time to look forward to the Honda Art Show again coming in May. If you are interested, you please sign up on the sign up sheet in the band room. We are looking for chamber groups, soloists & vocalists to perform.
- Parents of Symphonic band members - The kids have worked hard and have had a demanding two months, especially 8th grade cast members. I am giving everyone Wednesday morning off, as I need to be away from school for the morning.
- Music Man cast members, I do not expect to see you Thursday, or Friday morning as you have an incredibly demanding week ahead of you. Get lots of rest when possible, and stay healthy.
- 6th & 7th grade band members, we will meet Thursday & Friday as usual.
New music coming this week...
- Thursday-Saturday Music Man, Jr.
- Saturday, April 2nd – 8th grade High School Audition Day @LHS. (sign up online)
- See all other performances here…
Writing Resource Review: February 25th - March 4th, 2016
Hello Oak Grove Community,
The Director of Curriculum and the English language arts team are interested in receiving feedback on our Writing Resource recommendations. The resources are available for review in the Oak Grove District Office between the hours of 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. You are welcome to stop by and see the three resources we are considering for 2016-2017 implementation. The resources being considered are all aligned to a common philosophy which supports differentiation within every classroom along with providing consistent vocabulary from kindergarten through eighth grade.
If you have specific questions regarding our writing resources, please feel free to contact Sarah Cacciatore.
February 29, 2016
A Message from PTO Co-Presidents Lisa Perrone and Mia Hughes:
Lunches this Week
Monday – Jersey Mikes
Tuesday – Panino/Potato
Wednesday – Pizza
Thursday – Panda
The next PTO Meeting is this Wednesday, March 2nd , at 9:00 AM. We meet in the Junior High teacher’s lounge. All are welcome.
Box Tops for Education
After the second collection of the year the following classes are in the lead to win the contest and enjoy a treat at the end of the year. Overall, our numbers are down this year so please take the time to look at the products you purchase, clip and submit your Box Tops for Education. Perhaps you could ask family, friends or co-workers to join the effort for your child, as well! This effort yields a lot of money for our PTO and benefits our kids tremendously so we hope you'll participate. Our next and final pick up for the year will be in May so please keep clipping! Thank you!
K - Sweeney
1st - Alghini
2nd - Schmidt
3rd - McCarty
4th - Moroz
5th - Gibbar
Thank you for your support!
Amy Eberhardt & Maureen Burke - Box Top Co-Chairs
5th Grade Guys Only Night
Oak Grove Jr. High Cafeteria
Wednesday, March 30
7:00-8:30 Speaker from Robert Crown to discuss boys health education
8:30 Open Gym
The evening will include an informative presentation of "The Michael Program" by the Robert Crown Center for Health Education. Topics to be covered will include puberty, proper nutrition and personal hygiene and positive self-image.
Please respond via email to Krista.email@example.com by Friday, March 18 with Boy's name and Father's (or other adult male's) name.
If you have any questions, contact Krista Sorensen, Monica Goldberg or Jennifer Johnson. For additional information visit www.robertcrown.org under "Michaels Program".
5th Grade Mother/ Daughter Tea
Don't forget to RSVP to Jennifer Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15th for the 5th grade mother/daughter tea which is being held this year on March 29 at 7pm. Also, please remember to get your daughter's baby picture in by March 15th as well.
Save the date! This year’s 6-7th grade social will be on March 10th from 11-1 at Glacier Ice Rink in Vernon Hills.
Thank You for Your Support at the Grove Gala 2016!
Thank you so much to all of you who supported the sold out Grove Gala 2016 this past weekend! We had a big crowd, lots of food and dancing, and a spirited and competitive silent auction! In addition, we had our first Paddle Raise to support the inaugural Soaring Eagle scholarship program that will be awarded to a deserving Oak Grove Alumni/LHS Senior in April. Your contributions truly made this a sustainable program and a way to continue to support our students as they continue their educational endeavors.
We also want to thank all of our Gala volunteers and donors – it is such a community effort! We appreciate your time and talents and you are integral to the success of the event.
It truly was a memorable night and we sincerely thank you for your generosity, commitment and tremendous Oak Grove spirit. We are still sorting through the final photos, financial tallies, organizing pick up and payments for items not collected that evening and more. We will be reaching out to a few attendees directly to tie up any loose ends. Look for a more detailed update soon. Thank you again!
Caelan Riley won his weight class at 65 lbs. Ian Riley won an exciting match with a veteran move to win his 100 lb. weight class. At the 90 lb. weight class, Gavin Brown finished 2nd, while Diego Norena finished 4th.
On Saturday, the four Eagles will travel to Hawthorn North for the IESA Sectionals for their chance to advance to the state tournament.
Purple Comet Math Meet
Attention 5th-8th graders!! The Purple Comet Math Meet is an on-line, international, team mathematics competition designed for middle and high school students conducted annually since 2003. Oak Grove has signed up as a small middle school and will be competing against other teams from small middle schools. The contest is conducted via Internet web form. Middle school teams are given 60 minutes to work on 20 mathematics problems with non-negative integer solutions. Teams may submit solutions to problems until their clocks run out. Mrs. Oesch will be the adult supervisor for each team and will be present during the competition. Each team may have up to six (multi-grade level) members.
The contest runs Tuesday, April 12, through Thursday, April 21, 2016.
(Teams will meet after school at Oak Grove on ONE contest day within the above date range.)
If interested, please contact Mrs. Oesch before March 28th.
You Be the Chemist Challenge
- Brandon LaCrosse
- Nikhil Patel
- Desigamoorthy Nainar
- Nathan John (Alternate)
This is a summary of events that occurred at the February meeting, not the official minutes.
- Dr. Lemon gave an update about the situation in D187
- DayBreak Farms detachment hearing is scheduled for April 4
- Mrs. Cacciatore gave an update regarding the new writing resource
- ALICE training was discussed
- Board Goals were discussed
- The Board approved edits to the Communication Plan
- The Board approved 2016-17 registration fees
- The Board approved policy 4:30 updates
- The Board approved the Interfund transfer from the Education fund to the Operation and Maintenance fund
- The Board approved the interfund transfer from the Operation and Maintenance fund to the Capital Projects fund
- The Board approved the 2016-17 school calendar
- Personnel Action was approved