Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
by Roald Dahl
1. Here Comes Charlie
- Charlie gets a chocolate bar every year for his birthday; he makes his chocolate bar last for over a month
-He lives by the most famous and biggest chocolate factory in the world
-He lives with his parents and both sets of grandparents; his family is very poor
-Why doesn't Charlie go in the chocolate factory?
-Why does he want chocolate every year on his birthday?
-Where does he live? (what town?)
-What caused his family to be so poor?
-Who is the owner of the chocolate factory?
2. Mr. Willy Wonka's Factory
-After dinner Charlie goes into his grandparents' room to listen to their stories; these visits were what his grandparents looked forward to all day.
-One night they started talking about Willy Wonka's chocolate factory and how wonderful it was
-Mr. Willy Wonka makes the best sweets in the world.
-Are grandpa's stories actually true or are they make-believe?
-How do the grandparents know so much about the chocolate factory?
-How big is the chocolate factory?
-Who is the Indian Prince (Prince Pondicherry)?
-Why did Charlie walk by the factory every day--why not take a different route?
3. Mr. Wonka and the Indian Prince
-Grandparents are telling Charlie about the Indian prince- Prince Pondicherry.
-Mr. Willy Wonka built Prince Pondicherrry a palace made of chocolate.
-The chocolate palace melted like Mr. Wonka warned
-Why did Prince Pondicherry want a chocolate palace if he wasn't going to eat it?
-Was Prince Pondicherry the only person in the chocolate palace?
-Did Prince Pondicherry have another house?
-Why didn't Prince Pondicherry listen to Willy Wonka?
-If the chocolate palace was built in a different place or using different kinds of chocolate, would it have lasted longer?
4. The Secret Workers
- The factory closed because there were spies; these spies stole Mr. Wonka's secret recipes
-Suddenly the factory started up again, but no workers came in or out
-They saw through the windows little people making the candy
-Mr. Wonka is going to let a few people into the factory.
-Who are the little people?
-Why did the factory open up again?
-Why did the doors/gates always stay shut?
-Did Mr. Willy Wonka create the little people? How did he find them?
-Does Mr. Willy Wonka just run the place, or does he also make candy?
-How did the spies get in the factory?
5. The Golden Tickets
- Mr. Wonka sent out a flier talking saying that 5 kids will get into his factory.
-The tickets are hidden inside wrappers of candy bars.
-Charlie's grandparents want him to win, and they hope his birthday candy bar will have a golden ticket inside it.
-Why is he letting kids inside the factory now? How can he be sure he can trust them?
-Will Charlie get a golden ticket?
-Where are the candy bars that have the golden tickets at?
-Will all the tickets be found?
-What are the chances that Charlie will get a ticket?
6. The First Two Finders
-The first golden ticket was found by Augustus Gloop, who ate a lot.
-The second golden ticket found by a very spoiled girl names Veruca Salt
-Tomorrow is Charlie's birthday and he's getting a Wonka chocolate bar--hopefully it has a golden ticket inside
-Why does he always get chocolate on his birthday?
-Who will be the other finders of the golden tickets?
-Will Charlie get a ticket?
-How many chocolate bars will Charlie get for his birthday?
-If another person in Charlie's family got the golden ticket, would they give it to Charlie?
-Is Charlie jealous of Augustus and Veruca?
7. Charlie's Birthday
-Charlie got a chocolate bar for his birthday
-It did not have a golden ticket- Grandpa Joe said he might find one next time
-Charlie offered to share with his family
-Will Charlie get a ticket in another chocolate bar?
-Will he ever get another chocolate bar?
-Will he get another chocolate bar for his birthday?
-How might Charlie get another chocolate bar (chance to win a ticket)?
-How does Charlie feel since he didn't find a golden ticket?
8. Two More Golden Tickets Found
-2 more people got a golden ticket
-It was funny when gangsters were shooting gangsters with machine guns
-Mike Teavee and Violet Beauregarde got golden tickets.
- Why did Violet chew gum all the time?
-Why did Mike Teavee want the golden ticket?
-Will Charlie get the last ticket?
-If Charlie gets a golden ticket, will he bring his family?
-Where will Charlie get a golden ticket?
9. Grandpa Joe Takes a Gamble
- Charlie came home from school to find all his grandparents asleep except for Grandpa Joe
-Grandpa Joe bought a chocolate bar for Charlie with money he had been saving--secret hoard
-The chocolate bar did not have a golden ticket
-Was this Charlie's last chance for a golden ticket?
-Did Grandpa Joe waste all of his money on the chocolate bar?
-Why doesn't Grandpa Joe want the others to know about his money?
-If the other grandparents knew, how would they have reacted?
-How long had Grandpa Joe been saving money? What had he been saving for?
10. The Family Begins to Starve
- On the way home from school, Charlie found a dollar bill
- It was snowing outside
- Charlie used the dollar to buy a chocolate bar and food for the family
- How will Charlie's parents react when they find out he bought a chocolate bar/found a dollar?
- How much money will he have left after he buys the chocolate and food for his family?How much does a chocolate bar cost?
- Is the chocolate bar that Charlie bought going to have a golden ticket in it?
- Will Charlie get healthier?
- Does Charlie feel guilty spending part of the money on himself?
11. The Miracle
-Charlie bought a bunch of chocolate bars
-the chocolate bar had a golden ticket inside
- people offered money for the golden ticket
-how will his family react that Charlie got a golden ticket?
-who will go with Charlie to chocolate factory?
-when will Charlie go to the chocolate factory?
-will he give the ticket away?
- how happy is charlie?
12. What It Said On The Ticket
-Garndpa joe will go to the factory with Charlie
-They will leave tomorrow morning to the factory.
-On the ticket,it was explaining what you need to do
-What will Mr. Willy Wonka show them in his factory?
-Will Charlie win the surprise at the end?
-Will they get anything when touring the factory?
-What will the factory look like inside?
-Will there be anybody who won't show up at the factory?
-Why was grandpa joe so happy when Charlie found the gold ticket?
13. The Big Day Arrives
- All the golden ticket winners and their parents wait outside the factory until it opens at 10
- It's important that the gates will open soon
- A crowd had gathered to see the golden ticket winners and they discuss the kids
- The crowd goes silent when the gates open
- What are Grandpa Joe and Charlie going to do at the factory?
- What does Mr. Willy Wonka look like?
- Will the factory visitors get to sample some of the candy?
- How does Grandpa Joe and Charlie feel?
- How do Charlie's parents feel about his visit to the chocolate factory?
-What will the factory look like inside? What type of gadgets will Mr. Willy Wonka have in his factory?
-Will this be the last/only time Mr. Wonka lets people in his factory?
14. Mr. Willy Wonka
-he will open the gates at ten a clock
-people are exited
- The factory is kept warm for his workers
- Mr. Willy Wonka let the kids in the factory and they went down a hallway & saw a room called The Chocolate Room
-Mr. Wonka greeted Charlie and Grandpa Joe last, and thought GJ was Charlie's father
-Mr. Wonka is short with a goatee and wears a black top hat, green pants, purple jacket, grey gloves, and carries a gold cane
How the the technology look from the inside of the factory
-will the winners eat the chocolate
-will the kids be so exited
-will there be different kinds of chocolate
- Who are the workers and why do they only work in hot climates?
-What is in the chocolate room/what does it look like?
-How is Mr. Wonka feeling about people being in his factory?
15. The Chocolate Room
- Mr. Wonka made a type of grass candy called swudge
- The golden ticket winners saw the little workers.
- There is a giant chocolate river/waterfall
- How long/deep is the river?
- Where did the little workers come from?
- How do they make the chocolate river? What kind of chocolate is it?
- What will Mr. Wonka show them next?
- Where are the chocolate pipes sending the chocolate to?
16. The Oompa Loompas
- The Oompa Loompas are from Loompaland
- The Oompa Loompas were mistreated in Loompaland and feared that snozzwangers, whangdoodles, and hornswagglers were going to eat them; they hid out and only had caterpillars to eat; their favorite thing to eat is cacao beans; Wonka brought them back to his factory.
-Veruca kept telling her dad that she wants an Oompa Loompa of her own
-Augustus is drinking out of the chocolate river
- Why does Veruca want an Oompa Loompa?
- What do they look like?
-What will happen to Augustus? Will he fall in?
- Did Mr. Wonka get his cacao beans from Loompaland or do they grow in other places?
-What are snozzwangers, whangdoodles, and hornswagglers??
-Do the Oompa Loompas talk? What does Oompa-Loompish sound like?
17.Augustus Gloop Goes Up The Pipe
-Augustus is drinking the chocolate from the chocolate river
-Augustus fell into the chocolate river
-Augustus went up a chocolate pipe
-Oompa-Loompa's sang a strange song about Augustus
-will Augustus turn into chocolate strawberry fudge?
-will Augustus be ok?
-will Augustus be saved by Oompa-Loompa's ?
-why did Mrs.Gloop freak out?
-why was mr.wonka laughing so hard?
18.Down the chocolate River
-the people road down the river in a boat
-Charlie got to drink chocolate from the river
-they went down the chocolate river in a boat with little people.Questions:
-why does mr.willy wanka have 100 workers at his factory ?
-where else where they go?
-Will anything happen to any of the kids?
-what would be in the new room of the chocolate room?
-are they going to be able to eat something in the next room?
19. The Invention Room--Everlasting Gobstoppers & Hair Toffee
- The kids got to see inside the Inventing Room
- Nobody has ever been in the Inventing Room before--not even the oompa loompas
- Mr. Wonka showed the kids many of his inventions, such as hair toffee (makes your hair grow longer) and everlasting gobstoppers (never lose their taste and never get smaller)
- How come not even the Oompa Loompas could go in the Inventing Room?
- What was Mr. Wonka making in the room? What other inventions has Mr. Wonka created?
- How big is the inventing room?
- Do the oompa loompas get paid?
-How many inventions has Mr. Wonka made in his Inventing Room?
-What will happen to Augustus?
20. The Great Gum Machine
- Mr. Wonka has a machine that makes gum
- The gum comes down from little tubes, into a bigger tube, and the colors mix together to make the gum ball
- Violet gets really excited about the gum
- How many gumballs does the machine make a day?
- Will Violet eat the gum?
- Will the kids get to try the gum?
- What will be in the next room?
- How many room is in the chocolate factory?
- How many pieces of gum is in the gum machine?
- What is special about this gum?
- What flavors does the gum have?
- Violet eats the gum and doesn't, listen to Mr Willy Wonka and it goes ok for a while but it when it comes to the desert she turns purple!
-the Oompa Loompas roll her down into a boat to squeeze the juice Out of her
-the gum flavors were roast beef tomato soup and blueberry pie.
-is she going to grow bigger
-will Violet be ok
-why does Violet turn into the pie instead of roast beef or tomato soup
-will something horrible also happen to the rest of the kids?
-how does mr willy Wonka feel
22.along the corridor
-three kids are left in the factory
-they Left the inventing room
-they will dejuice violet
-will the three kids be okay?
-what room will they go to next?
-will mike or veruca or Charlie be the next victim
-will the other three kids be ok
-what type of candy or chocolate
23. Square candies that look round
- When the ticket winners went into the Square candies that look round, they didnt think the candies looked round.
-Grandpa Joe lifted Charlie so he could get a better view in the square candy room
-when there were about to leave the faces on the square candies looked at them they all saw the faces not the shape
-how big are the square candies?
-Will violet be ok?
- Where will they go next?
-how much sugar does willy wonka put in the square candy?
- Why do the women want wonka to go slower?
24.Veruca and the nut room
-The kids got to see the nut room with all the squirrels
-Veruca salt went down the garbage shoot
-THe Oompa Loompa's were singing a other song when Veruca salt went down the trash whole
-Why didnt mr Wonka just get a nut cracker for the Oompa loompas?
-Will Veruca get burned in the furnace or not?
-Why doesn't Mr Wonka just build a machine to crack the nuts?
-Will anything happen to mike teavee or Charlie bucket?
-What will the next chapter be about? What is gana happen to mike teavee and Charlie in the chocolate factory ?
25. The Great Glass Elevator
- They went into an elevator made of glass that had lots and lots of buttons; the elevator could go in any direction
- Mr. Wonka told Charlie and Mike that they could both choose a room to go to
- Mike Teavee chose the The Television Chocolate room
- The elevator went really fast, and it made the Teavee's sick
- What will be in the Television Chocolate room?
- What does chocolate have to do with the television?
- Just how fast did the elevator go?
- Why/how does the elevators go in all directions?
- Will anything happen to Mike in the Television Chocolate room?
- Will Mrs. Teavee feel better?
- What is so dangerous about the Television Chocolate room?
- What room will Charlie choose?
26.the television chocolate room
-the Oompa loompas brought a giant chocolate bar
-They put the chocolate bar in to the television
-The Oompa Loompas put on a suit so the television doesn't get them
-Mr willy Wonka is worried about putting humans in the camara
-Is Mr willy Wonka let any body go inside the television
- will mike jump inside the television
-Is mike Teavee going to come a hole or a half
-if mike shrinks how much is going to shrink
27.Mike Teavee is sent by television
-it,s so blinding in the room so Mr. Wonka gives them dark sunglasses
- mike is shrunk down to an inch because Wonka said everything big there goes out smaller.
-the Oompa Loompas sung yet another weird song about mike like they did for the other 3 kids.
- will mike be ok?
- Will Mike get bigger?
- Will Mike's dad change his mind and let him watch TV?
- What happens when they stretch Mike?
- Will he continue to get smaller?
- Will we find out anything about the outcomes of Augustus, Violet, Veruca, or Mike?
- Will Mike go to school even though he is so short?
- How does Charlie feel about being the only left?
- How does Mr. Wonka feel about the 4 kids being gone?
28. Only Charlie Left
-Charlie was the last person left.
-They went in an elevator through the ceiling.
-the elavator is see through
- Do the kids look the same?
-why does Wonka leave when there's still people in the factory
- Will the kids be ok
-how does mr.wonka know what the button did if that was his first time using it?
-what is the prize Charlie is getting?
29.The other children are going home
-Get a life supply of Chocolate
-Augustus,Violet,Veruca and Mike are ok
-The children go home besides Charlie
-Do Augustus,Violet,Veruca and Mike feel fine?
-Did the kids like the factory?
-How does Charlie feel?
-What did Charlie win?
-How does grandpa joe think about Mr.Wonka