Grizzly Gazette- Sept 3, 2021
West Briar MS School Updates: Week 3
This week's newsletter is dedicated to keeping you informed of quite a few different calendar items and ensure you're getting the important information.
Required Beginning-of-Year Forms
Below you will find digital access to both forms and an explanation for each:
Form #1: Socioeconomic Information Form (blue form)
- Socioeconomic Form- This form is filled out by all families, is confidential, and is very important in order for schools to receive compensatory education funding.
Families fall into one of two categories:
- Families that qualify for assistance, fill out form each year to continue receiving assistance.
- Families that do not qualify for assistance STILL fill out the form. These families can indicate that they do not want to provide this information, but that they submit the form anyways. (Picture at right is bottom of the form.)
Form #2: Code of Conduct Form
The second required form to be completed is the:
- Houston ISD Code of Conduct Acknowledgement Page-signed by both student and parent and turned in to school. (picture at right)
*You can indicate that you want a printed copy of the 2021-2022 HISD Code of Conduct, by marking it on the Acknowledgement Page. If you do not want a printed copy, this form still must be turned into the school.
Form #3: WBMS Student Laptop Agreement
Laptops will be checked out to students on their grade-level House Commons area on the below days:
- Tuesday, Sept 7- 8th Grade
- Wednesday, Sept 8- 7th Grade
- Thursday, Sept 9- 6th Grade
- Friday, Sept 10- All grades
During their assigned date, students must turn in their Laptop Agreement form to receive a school-issued laptop. Though they may not be used in each class period each day, teachers will use laptops for a variety of different activities throughout the '21-'22 school year.
*If a student did not receive this form, they can ask for one from their House Secretary or you may view it electronically on our website: West Briar: School Information: Student Handbook.
Student Laptop Loan Agreement Key Points:
- Laptops are used for educational purposes only.
- Laptop hardware and software may not be modified in any way.
- Any intentional damage or gross negligence could result in financial responsibility for the laptop.
- The laptop is the property of Houston ISD and must be returned at the end of the school year or if a student changes schools/withdraws.
- Digital Citizenship orientation will be presented to students (Hub Course) and resources can be found here: HISD Digital Citizenship.
- Houston ISD Technology Acceptable Use Policy will also be signed by all students.
- Any misuse or violations of the Loan Agreement could result in disciplinary action or loss of laptop loan privileges.
All 21-22 Student Handbook Documents are saved on the WBMS Website here.
HISD Connect- Portal to your student's grades and information!
HISD Connect is the parent and student portal to student's information, addresses, and grades.
- Here are HISD Connect How-To Videos if you need assistance with HISD Connect.
- Here is the link to HISD Connect (Parent Portal).
Make sure to keep your student contacts including email address(es) updated so that you are receiving the most up-to-date campus and district information! This is how we communicate with you.
Important Date Change
See flyer below:
TEA BOY Testing: Coming Soon
TEA BOY testing
- Sept 13- Math
- Sept 14- Reading
- Sept 15 - Science (6th only) & Writing (8th only)
See this WBMS: HB 4545/Accelerated Learning Flyer- that's been saved to our website.
- More information will be sent out soon, but some HB 4545 links/documents have been added to our website (below):
Check it out here: School Information- Ready-Set-Go
Arrival & Dismissal Reminders
West Briar Community-
Please help us ensure both student and staff safety as you drop-off or pick-up your WB student(s). Please note that the arrival/dismissal area is also our Teacher/Staff Parking Lot. In addition to getting students to and from school safely, we must also keep this parking lot free of traffic and clear congestion to allow staff members to arrive and dismiss safely.
- Parents dropping off students each morning must not take up parking spaces. This drop off location is adjacent to our staff parking lot. Staff arrive to campus between 7:00-8:15 each morning and must be able to utilize these parking spaces.
Dismissal Route Options
We are currently waiting for the City of Houston to post No Parking signs along Park Bayou.
Dismissal Car-Rider Procedures
Please keep in mind:
- Merge safely- remember that there are many WBMS students (and parents) who either walk or ride their bike to and from school.
- Both Car Rider lanes enter onto Park Bayou. Please Do Not park along Park Bayou (at any point between Brimhurst and Westerloch). This causes significant congestion.
- See graphic below for path of after-school pick-up lanes:
Crime Stoppers Presentations on Wed, Sept 8th
We will post Crime Stoppers Resources and Information to our website after the grade level assemblies.
Stay safe Grizzlies!