February 1, 2016
One Month Down in 2016
For the last few NJHS Inductions, my dad has come out and talked to the new inductees and one of his talking points is in regards to setting goals. He discusses a 1979 Harvard Business School study of students and their goals. Of the students who were in the study, 3% of the students said they have goals and write these goals down, 10% said they have goals, but they aren't written down and the other 87% replied that they had no goals in mind. They came back 10 years later and interviewed these students. The 10% who said they had goals generally in mind were earning, on average, twice as much as the 87% with no goals at all. The 3% who had goals and wrote these goals down, were earning, on average, 10 times more than the other 97 percent combined.
This may not relate to the educational field as far as earnings, but I do believe it does apply to our thought process, the way we live our lives, and also our successes. We all make our own happiness and shouldn't let others dictate how we feel or how we act. Our attitudes and actions are our own choice. This mind-frame relates to both our personal and professional lives.
There are many situations in our professional lives that can cause stress and anxiety, but it is the way we choose to act towards these that is the key. This can be from something as big as not enjoying what you do to something as small as choosing to smile and greet your students when they enter your classroom. Every choice you make is what will drive you daily. If you aren't enjoying your job, change it. If you can't relate to a certain student, try to figure out a way to reach him or her. The key is to find ways to better yourself as an educator and this is where those goals come in handy.
I spoke about the idea of instilling wonder in your classroom routine and focusing on how to reach each of your students at the beginning of the school year. I have definitely witnessed examples of excitement and wonder in walk-throughs and observations of the classrooms this year. There have been awesome innovative lessons and risk taking in lesson planning and delivery. I hope you continue to create excitement in your classroom and that this is something you are thinking about when you create your lesson plans or plan with your team.
It is time to look at those resolutions set at the beginning of 2016, or even think back to the beginning of the school year and ask yourself if you are still working on those goals you had prior to the students entering your classroom. Check your progress and continue moving forward to making these goals a habit. If you need new goals, set them, write them down, revisit them often, keep track of your progress, and, most importantly, continue pressing forward in order to make an improvement in your life and/or the life of others.
If you are planning on leaving at the end of the school year, please let me know. The sooner we know, the sooner we can start recruiting.
Cause Day This Thursday!
Technology Implementation Ideas
You can sign up for free, which I recommend you trying. The door prize Sara won is for the Pro version which allows a variety of different options. Take a look at it and let Sara know if you are interested in using the Pro version.
As always, please let us know when you are trying new ideas out in the classroom and I am always looking to share any Best Practices with the rest of the staff.
Thanks to all of you for being awesome!
8th grade Academic Conferences are set for Feb. 9th through March 1st. The Learning Lab will relocate to the health room, 517, during this time.
1st Annual Rice "Soup-er" Bowl
If you would like to bring a favorite soup, please sign up here. Even if you don't have a favorite food, you can still bring a side item and enjoy the soups provided.
This is a potluck of sorts for everyone to participate and provide.
AMC10A Test Tomorrow
Please refer to Margareta's email in regards to the list of students who will be testing in the cafeteria.
Soccer Club Sponsors NEEDED!!
PLC with Catie Inge
Teacher Work Days
Great informational resources for you to apply in the classroom. This is updated weekly with Craig McKinney's latest and greatest ideas.
Rice's Bragging and Reflection Form
There are four "announcements" placed in the classroom which is to be used to brag on yourself, a teacher, or even a student. If you include something about someone, please let them know, so they can see the information. Something to try out as far as giving props and recognition to those who deserve it. The class code is: k37hjt
Sara McCutchen-February 1:
A huge #RMSShoutOut to Ms. Nipper for volunteering to run during Athletics with one of her students who is struggling to make the required runs! That is what you call doing whatever it takes!!
Sara McCutchen-January 27:
A huge #RMSShoutOut to Mrs. Coveney for sharing a timer with the BSC in a pinch!! Thank you so much!