SCHS Counseling Connections
Volume 5 - May 2019
Also follow us on:
Our website @ www.stcharlessd.org/schscounseling
Facebook @ SCHS Counseling Department
Twitter @ guidance_schs
SCHS FBLA Students Among Top in State
This semester, the St. Charles High School Future Business Leaders of America chapter participated in academic competitions. They competed against area schools in various business categories. Ten students from SCHS advanced to the state level by receiving higher test and performance scores than most students in the area. On Tuesday, April 16, six of those students were recognized for finishing in the top ten in their respective categories at the state level. Ashlynn Boyd and Hannah Gross placed ninth in the category for Hospitality Management. Ross Burhans, Max Locke, and Zach Roberts finished fifth in the Computer Game & Simulation event. Katherine Johnson received top ten results in two categories. She finished seventh in Securities & Investments, and second in Business Law. By finishing second, Katherine qualified for the National Leadership Conference, which be held in San Antonio, Texas later this summer.
- Written by Mr.Doss-
(see pictures below)
Due to the inclement weather and number of snow days used by the district this winter, we will have to adjust the end of the year schedule for our students. The official last day of school will be Thursday, May 30th. However, in order to accommodate scheduled graduation events for the school district and the family planning that is also associated with those events, the senior schedule for the end of the school year is being adjusted.
Please note the following dates for seniors:
- Monday, May 20, 2019: Seniors will need to turn in their Chromebooks during lunch. Students choosing to purchase their Chromebook will still need to turn them in but will be able to pick them up again after Commencement Rehearsal on Tuesday, May 28th.
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019 – Friday, May 24, 2019: seniors will take their final exams using the final exam schedule listed below.
- Friday, May 24, 2019: All senior grades for graduation are due no later than 3:00 pm. Students who do not complete coursework by this deadline will not be able to participate in commencement exercises.
- Monday, May 27, 2019: No School….Memorial Day Holiday.
- Tuesday, May 28, 2019: Seniors report to school at the normal time. We will host a breakfast for our seniors before starting Commencement Rehearsal at 9 am in the main gym. All seniors must report to school by 7:20 am. This is the last required day of attendance for our seniors.
- Wednesday, May 29, 2019: No School for seniors.
- Thursday, May 30, 2019: No School for seniors.
- Thursday, May 30, 2019: SCHS Commencement at 7 pm in the SCHS main gym.
** Seniors MUST report to school NO LATER than 6:15 pm, night of graduation**
Seniors will be allowed to exempt final exams if they meet the required criteria; however, they will be required to attend school during all days of the Senior final exam schedule due to the fact they will not be in attendance on Wednesday, May 29th and Thursday, May 30th.
Seniors will take final exams within the normal school schedule/hours 5/21-5/23 and on the first day of the standard final exam schedule on 5/24.
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019: Block 2 and 6 Final Exams.
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019: Block 3 and 9 Final Exams.
- Thursday, May 23, 2019: Block 4 and 8 Final Exams.
- Friday, May 24, 2019: (Normal Final Exam Schedule) Block 1 and 7 Final Exams.
9th - 11th Graders Final Exam Schedule
Final Exam Schedule for 9th – 11th Graders:
- Final Exams for 9th – 11th graders will start on Friday, May 24, 2019.
- The last day of school for 9th – 11th graders is Thursday, May 30, 2019 and students will be dismissed at 11:20 am.
Friday, Mary 24th, 2019
7:20 am - 9:15 : Block 1 Final Exam
9:20 - 10:05 Block 3 Regular Class
10:10 - 10:55: AIP
11:00 - 1:30 : Block 7 Final Exam & Lunch
1:35 - 2:20 : Block 9 Regular Class
Tuesday, May 28th, 2019
7:20 am - 9:15 : Block 3 Final Exam
9:20 - 10:05 Block 2 Regular Class
10:10 - 10:55: AIP
11:00 - 1:30 : Block 9 Final Exam & Lunch
1:35 - 2:20 : Block 6 Regular Class
Wednesday, May 29, 2019
7:20 am - 9:15 : Block 2 Final Exam
9:20 - 10:05 Block 4 Regular Class
10:10 - 10:55: AIP
11:00 - 1:30 : Block 6 Final Exam & Lunch
1:35 - 2:20 : Block 8 Regular Class
Thursday, May 30, 2019
7:20 am - 9:15 : Block 4 Final Exam
9:20 - 11:20 : Block 8 Final Exam
- May 1st : Early Out
-National Honor Society Induction Ceremony @ 7 pm
- May 2nd : Navy lunch Visit
- May 7th : All District Strings Concert @ 7:30 pm
- May 8th : Early Out
- May 15th :
-Spring Choir Concert @ 8 pm
- May 27th: NO SCHOOL- Memorial Day
- May 28th :
- Graduation Commencement Rehearsal 9am - 11 am
-Senior Awards Night @ 6:30 pm
- May 30th:
-3 Hour Early Release
-LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
-Class of 2019 Graduation @ 7 pm
- St.Charles Community College Job Fair
When:Friday, May 3, from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Where:St. Charles Community College, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Dr., Cottleville, MO 63376 (College Center gym)
What: Opportunity to meet with recruiters from local companies, have your resume critiqued and get a LinkedIn photo taken
The St. Charles Community College Job Fair is free to job-seekers and open to the community.
For information on specific companies and job opportunities go to www.stchas.edu/jobfair
For more information, contact Jenny Hahn Schnipper
- SCCAD Safety Day
When: Saturday, May 18th, from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Join the Paramedics of St. Charles County Ambulance District for Safety Day at the Meadows on May 18! Families can tour traditional emergency vehicles like a SCCAD ambulance, Lake St. Louis fire truck and Lake St. Louis police car, as well as more unique vehicles like the SCCAD Ambu-Bus and Major Incident Response Unit. Also at the event, families can take advantage of FREE Lifesaver CPR training, health screenings courtesy of Barnes St. Peters & Progress West, and a build a first aid kit station!
Helpful vs. Harmful. Here are some ways that you can use positive coping skills when you are faced with life's curveballs. Modeling positive coping skills is the best way to teach kids that emotions can be handled in good and bad ways. We all need reminders sometimes (including me!) that negative coping skills do NOT help the problem and generally make it worse.
(you can access a larger version of these images HERE via Mental Health America)
St. Charles High Counseling Crew
Brad Bichel: G-O Counselor
Sarah Scaturro: P-Z Counselor
Jordan Roche: Crisis Counselor
Dawn Tranen: Social Worker
Amy Robertson: Registrar
Sharon Stewart: Secretary