Thelma Jones Elementary Week of Aug. 3-7
Greetings Shark Families!!
Today, our teachers returned to campus to begin planning for the new school year. We had great conversations about what in-person school will look like. We will roll out our plan as we get closer to Sept. 8th.
Meanwhile, we are preparing for all students to begin learning virtually and remotely on Aug. 12th.
What is the difference between virtual and remote learners?
Virtual Learners are students who are signed up for the Virtual Learning Academy. These students will have an MISD teacher. Students will have live instruction and independent practice throughout the school day. VLA is set up to mirror in person instruction as much as possible. They will remain virtual for the 1st semester.
Remote Learners are students who will return in-person on Sept. 8th. Until Sept. 8th, they are considered remote learners, as they will learn remotely until they are able to come in person. Their remote learning schedule and academic expectations will be the same as virtual students.
Register Online and Submit POR for 2020-2021 School Year - Now through August 12
Virtual Meet the Teacher - Monday, August 10
First Day of School (MISD Virtual Learning Academy and Remote)- Wednesday, August 12
First Day of In-Person Instruction on Campus (MISD Virtual Learning Academy students still learning from home) - Monday, September 8
Meet the Teacher
We are looking for a creative way to allow our families to meet teachers and staff. On Friday, teachers will email a video to their families to introduce themselves and share general information. On Monday, Aug. 10th., teachers will have Meet the Teacher via Microsoft Teams. Your student's teacher will send an email with a link to join the meeting. Student schedules will be in Skyward by Monday, Aug. 10th.
Virtual Meet the Teacher
Kindergarten- 5:30 PM
First- 5:50 PM
Second- 6:10 PM
Third- 6:30 PM
Fourth- 6:50 PM
Meet the Teacher will last approximately 20 minutes.
How Can We Help?
Passport to Learning
All students will receive a link to complete an online “Passport to Learning” module as we begin school. This module is critical in helping our kids understand the platforms and information available for remote and virtual learning delivery. There will also be a parent module that we strongly encourage our parents to complete.
K-2 students will use Seesaw.
3-4 students will use Canvas.
School Supplies for the 2020-2021 School Year
Students Personal Belongings
We have several bags of students' personal belongings that were not picked up by families from May. Please contact the counselor, Mrs. Keller, if you need to pick up student belongings. We will donate items not picked up by Aug. 12th.
Many of you have contacted us concerning yearbooks. Rest assured that our yearbook editor is making frequent contact with Lifetouch. Please see the attachment, below, for the latest update. We will continue to share updates.
Returning Student Online Registration and Proof of Residency for 20-21
Returning Student Registration is now open! All students must be registered even if you are doing the MISD Virtual Academy!
In an effort to streamline the registration process and reduce paperwork, Mansfield ISD is once again implementing an Online Registration option through Skyward Family Access for returning students.
All students who attended Mansfield ISD in the 2019-2020 school year are highly encouraged to complete the Returning Student Online Registration and provide proof of residency prior to the start of school in order to streamline the process.
You may access the returning student online registration by logging into Family Access via the following link:
*Please be sure to select the RETURNING STUDENT ONLINE REGISTRATION button once logged into Family Access. (NOTE: The NEW STUDENT ONLINE ENROLLMENT is only for students who did not finish the 2019-2020 school year at ANY Mansfield ISD campus.)
For your convenience, we have posted a How To document/video and a FAQ document on the MISD Back to School website. This information can be found via the following link under Returning Student Registration: https://www.mansfieldisd.org/student-central/back-to-school.
Please contact your student’s campus office if you need your family access login/password information, password reset or have questions while completing the online registration for your returning student. You can also email MISDRegistration@misdmail.org with family access or online registration questions.
*Please note that Mansfield ISD requires all students to provide proof of residency each school year. This proof of residency is not part of the online registration. Communication was sent out via email in May with information on submitting your proof of residency via email to a campus specific POR email address. You can also find the campus POR email address via the following link: https://www.mansfieldisd.org/departments/student-services/enrollment-registration/proof-of-residency.
Free and Reduced Lunch Application for the 20-21 School Year *click SchoolCafe' link below*
MISD 20-21 School Year Calendar
How to Prepare Your Student for the Changes at School
We are here to support you as you begin to explain to your child what going back to school in the building may look like.
Some things to touch on:
- Discuss the fact that staff members and some students will wear masks. I would also make sure that they know how important it is not to make fun of someone else or tease them about a mask.
- Discuss that students will not be sitting right next to each other. There will be distance between one another at all times. If you have already experienced this somewhere (grocery store line, etc.), you could remind your child about what that was like. Another idea is to show them at home what social distance looks like.
- Discuss that it will be very important to follow directions. We will work as a school campus to teach what it looks like when we _____________________. We will work every day to review procedures and take time to explain and show how.
- You should probably prepare your child by letting him/her know that you will not be able to eat lunch with them or walk them in to the building. Help them understand MISD has put this procedure in place to reduce the number of visitors who enter the building.
- Let your child know that we will help them with whatever they need.
- Please make sure your child has good hand-washing procedures in place.
Even though it is difficult right now, I strongly advise staying positive and hopeful in front of your child. They are watching you and listening to you.
Do you need to update your email address or phone numbers in Skyward? You can make those changes in Family Access.
- Log into Family Access
- Click on My Account (top right corner)
- When the Account Settings screen opens, there is place for your email address and up to three phone numbers.
- Please note – Each parent/guardian can enter one email address to receive communication via Skyward Message Center.
- Once changes are made, click Save.
If you, parent/guardian, is unable to log into Family Access, there are a couple options:
1 – Use the Forgot Your Password link from the Family Access login page
2 – Email email@example.com