Shark FIN Bulletin
September Edition, 2019
Good morning Sugar Creek Families,
We just completed the 5th week of school and we're off to a great start! Our students are learning and practicing classroom procedures and routines; as well as, our school wide expectations. Our students and staff work daily on showing SHARK STRONG behavior. Shark Strong means that our students are being kind, showing respect and having integrity. These are the three main character traits we continue to teach and reinforce at Sugar Creek Elementary.
We started something new this year. Some of you may have noticed your child coming home with a "shark strong spirit stick" linked to their backpack. We have implemented a new school wide character plan where students are recognized for displaying positive behavior and character. It's important to communicate positively to our families so they are aware of the good behaviors rather than only hearing from the school for negative feedback. Each Friday teachers recognize one to two students who have demonstrated "Shark Strong" character by giving them a spirit stick to hang on their book bags. This is in addition to the positive communication that teachers are sending home daily and our character kid recognition. Below is a picture of what our spirit sticks look like. Our goal is to recognize as many students we can throughout the year. Be on the look out for these Shark Strong spirit sticks!
Vision and Mission
Vision: At SCES our vision is putting children first, striving for excellence, building positive relationships.
Mission: Collaboratively, our school community is committed to excellence, by putting children first, building caring relationships, and valuing diversity.
District Contest- Let's help SCES!
Important School Events and Information
WATCH D.O.G.S.® (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, educational initiative of the National Center For Fathering. There are 2 primary goals of the WATCH D.O.G.S. ® program.
1) To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
2) To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.We are encouraging all dads and father figures to join us on Tuesday, October 1st for our Watch D.O.G.S kick off meeting. Please click on the link below for more information and to R.S.V.P.
Watch D.O.G.S RSVP Link
- Sharkathon Pep Rally is October 23rd (fundraising begins)
- Sharkathon Fun Run is November 1st (fundraising ends)
- Tuesday, September 24th- PTO Spirit Night at Hobo's 5:00-8:00
- Thursday, September 26th- Pediatric Cancer Awareness Day- wear Yellow
- Tuesday, October 1- Watch D.O.G Launch in cafeteria at 6:00 pm
- Friday, October 18th- No School
- Monday, October 21st- Teacher Workday- No School for students
- Wednesday, October 23- Sharkathon Pep Rally
- Thursday, October 31- Report Cards go home
- Friday, November 1- Sharkathon Fun Run
- Friday, November 22- 5th Grade Musical and Shark Beats 8:15 am
- Wednesday, November 27- Friday, November 29- Thanksgiving Break
- Saturday, November 30- FM Parade- 2nd and 3rd grade choir performs and Shark Beats
- Thursday, December 5- Fort Mill Christmas Tree Lighting- Shark Beats will perform
- Friday, December 6- Winter Dance PTO Event
- Saturday, December 7- Fort Mill Christmas Parade- 2nd/3rd grade choir
- Thursday, December 12- 1st grade Musical 6:00pm
- Thursday, December 12- Holiday Lunch
- Thursday, December 19- First Day of Winter Break- No school
- Friday, January 3- Teacher Workday
**Below is the link to the district calendar
Check out pictures from our PTO Events this past month
PTO and Volunteers
Mrs. Spears and Mrs. Sawhney are excited about painting faces
Mrs. Bergen getting ready to welcome all our families
Some of our teachers hanging out with their families
Grits for Grandparents
We love our grandparents- thanks for joining us for breakfast!
Love the Grandma Shark and Papa Shark shirts!
Sammy the Shark
Sammy loves to welcome our families!
Please be sure to read over our student handbook so that you are aware of our school practices and district policies.