Westside High School
Seminole Parent Newsletter-Opening of School 2022-2023
Monthly Message from Mr. Horton!
As we prepare for the 2022 - 2023 school year, I want to provide some essential information that will help your child have a successful year.
The teaching and learning vision for Westside High School is that each student in each classroom will experience meaningful, rigorous standards based instruction in a highly engaging learning environment that is tailored to meet their individual needs.
I look forward to seeing each of you on July 29, 2022 starting at 3:30 p.m. I encourage all families to come to meet the faculty and staff. You will be able to navigate the halls, meet student leads, sign up for clubs and complete demographic information necessary to receive devices during the first week of school. You will also be able to meet our teachers and receive their schedules.
Students may report to school daily at 7:00 am (not before). Students are considered tardy when the bell rings at 7:30 am.
We are looking forward to a great year and we can't wait to see our students on August 3, 2022!
Michael Horton, Jr.
Open House-Welcome Back Noles Nations!
We have an inviting experience planned for you and your child. Please allow yourself at least an hour and half to ensure that your child will be ready for day one.
The following must be completed before your child can receive their computer.
* I acknowledge that the Bibb County School District will abide by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). FERPA allows certain types of personally identifiable information, known as “Directory Information” to be released by BCSD without consent of a parent or student. Details are provided in the BCSD Student Code of Conduct. I can submit a timely request to the District to opt-out of sharing directory information using the Student Opt-Out Form: https://www.bcsdk12.net/departments/communications/student_media_clearance_media_opt-_out_forms.
* I acknowledge that the Bibb County School District and its schools utilize computers (or other electronic devices) and the internet for instructional purposes. Prior to 2nd grade, students will use devices while at school. Students in the 2nd grade and beyond will be issued a device to use in school that they can take home. BCSD utilizes strong internet filtering and security to provide students with the safest online experiences possible. I acknowledge that I must review the Student Device Use Contract (found in the Student Code of Conduct) with my child and ensure that it is honored at all times. I can choose to restrict my child’s opportunity to take the device home by completing the Student Opt-Out Form: https://www.bcsdk12.net/departments/communications/student_media_clearance_media_opt-_out_forms.
Code of Conduct
* I acknowledge that the Bibb County School District Student Code of Conduct is published annually prior to the start of the new school year. This document is maintained electronically on the BCSD website and can be found here: https://www.bcsdk12.net/parents/code_of_conduct. As a parent/guardian, I acknowledge available access to this document, agree to review the contents with my student(s), and agree to support my student(s) being held accountable to all components.
Student Health Care
* I understand that no prescription or long-term over-the-counter medications and no treatments can be administered at school without doctor’s orders dated for the current school year. I understand that my child’s doctor may be contacted as needed for clarification of any services needed at school. I understand that I need to contact the school nurse to provide additional information or documentation as needed for any health concerns.
The Remind App-Stay in touch with Westside!
What is Remind? Remind is a communication platform that helps us communicate with students and parents. With Remind, you can send messages to your teachers through email, Remind’s mobile app, the web, and even text.
Create a free account: Create a Remind account
A. Go to remind.com or downloading the free iOS or Android app.
B. Click on Sign up. To sign up, you'll need to provide a full name, email address, and password.
C. Choose ‘Parent’ and follow the instructions to start using Remind.
Join a class or school: You can join a class or school to receive Remind messages via text, email, and/or push notification. You’ll need to receive a class or school code from a teacher or school administrator.
- Join by text: Text a unique class or school code to a Remind phone number.
- Join online: Visit remind.com/join and enter the class or school code along with your mobile phone number. You'll get text notifications at the number you entered.
Westside High Schools Join Code: bcsdwhs
- Join via mobile app: Download the mobile app for iOS and Android devices and create a new account (or log in if you already have one.)
A. To join a class, tap the + by Classes Joined and either join with your class code or search for your class. You'll automatically get app notifications.
Merge duplicate accounts: If you have duplicate accounts, you can self-merge them by logging into one account and adding the contact point (phone/email) from the other account in your Account settings.
Change your notification preferences: You can add, remove, or edit your phone number and email as well as adjust your app and desktop notifications via your Remind dashboard, under Account settings.
Dress Code and Cell Phone Policy
Dress Code: Please do not allow your child to wear or bring to school any of the items listed below. I strongly encourage you to also read through the 22-23 BCSD Student Code of Conduct. The following items are a safety concern and prevent us from identifying students in a timely manner.
A. NO hats, caps, hoods, scarves, bandannas, “do rags".
Cell Phone Policy:
A. Students must "power off" their cellphones during the hours of 7:30 am to 2:40 pm.
B. NO cell phones may be visible during the designated hours.
C. Students must comply immediately when given a directive by a staff member.
D. NO headphones, earbuds, and Airpods may be visible or powered on during the designated hours.
2022-2023 BCSD Student Code of Conduct
Each year it is required for a parent/guardian to complete the Annual Data Update through the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. This provides us with the most current and accurate contact & health information in case of an emergency for your child. This also serves as your acknowledgment that you have reviewed the BCSD Student Code of Conduct.