- include: vitamins, minerals, herbs, amino acids, and enzymes
- marketed forms: tablets, capsules, soft gels, gel caps, powders, and liquids
- can be beneficial to your health but can also involve health risks
- FDAhas no authority to review dietary supplement products for safety or effectiveness before they are marketed
- help assure that you get enough of the vital substances the body needs to function
- may help reduce the risk of disease
- not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent, or cure diseases
However, supplements should not replace complete meals which are necessary for a healthful diet.
- contain active ingredients that have strong biological effects in the body
- hurt or complicate your health
- involve health risks
Don't take supplements as medication or with medication!