Deer Hill School News . April 8, 2022
Dear Deer Hill Families,
As I shared in a previous newsletter, Deer Hill has partnered with a local organization, End Hunger NE this year as part of our community service initiatives. While this organization has a primary focus of addressing food insecurity on a local level, like many others they have turned their efforts toward helping Ukrainian refugees.
Last week, many Deer Hill students took a few minutes out of their day to sticker bags for nonperishable meals. Looking ahead, Deer Hill is kicking our efforts up a notch with two ways to get involved. Deer Hill families and staff are invited to sign up for a 90 minute slot on the evening of May 4th at End Hunger NE's Pembroke facility to package meals for Ukrainian refugees. There is also an opportunity to donate to these efforts.
In the words of Matthew Martin, the New England Coordinator for End Hunger NE:
"Deer Hill Elementary School is taking Star Wars Day by storm...kind of like Storm Troopers. No, make that Jedis. Since Mar 11th, EndHungerNE.org has raised around $9,000 A DAY to help feed hungry Ukrainian refugees. The goal is to fund $350,000 by Easter and pack the million meals by Mother's Day. Deer Hill students and staff have been stickering bags...14,000 at a time, which are then used to feed another 84,000. Now they are stepping into actually packaging the meals on, you guessed it, May the 4th (just 4 days before Mother's Day). Every person who shows up on May the 4th will pack one box each hour, feeding another 216 refugees. Please join the movement!"
Here are the links to be involved:
Sign up to donate your time on May 4 (that date is reserved for Deer Hill)
Donate to support End Hunger NE's efforts (be sure to type "Deer Hill" in the notes section)
Additionally, ALL students are invited to wear either yellow and blue or their favorite Star Wars swag on May 4th. MAY THE 4th BE WITH U-KRAINE!!!
All the best,
Alexandra L. Sullivan
Principal, Deer Hill School
P.S. Our next newsletter will be published the week after break on April 29, 2022.
P.P.S. Follow me on Twitter @DeerHillSchool for ongoing info and joy throughout the week.
Need to Knows
- Many thanks to Deer Hill families that have already completed the Deer Hill Family-School Relationship Survey. This anonymous survey is integral to the work of the Deer Hill School Council (made up of staff and parents) in establishing our goals and action plan for the upcoming school year. The survey an be completed in a few minutes, and your honest feedback is greatly appreciated.
- Bike safety continues to be a concern. Please have frequent and pointed conversations with your bike riders about safe speeds and being VERY mindful of cars that may be exiting driveways.
- Please see this information from Nurse Bulman regarding scoliosis screenings that will be taking place at Deer Hill.
- This week 3rd grade completed the ELA portion of the MCAS. Attendance was excellent which is very helpful -- thank you! Next week 4th and 5th grade will complete the ELA portion on Monday and Tuesday. The full MCAS schedule is posted on our Deer Hill calendar linked below.
- Please support our Cohasset High School National Honor Society students who are hosting a food drive to support the local food pantry. They will be in the front circle of Cohasset High School from 9am-2pm on Sunday, April 10th.
Keeping the Joy (happenings at Deer Hill)
- The power of the people is alive and well — a 75 signatures strong student-led petition sealed the deal: ice cream in the cafeteria returns after April break! Please see this update from Food Services Director, Marilyn Haraden, for more details about all snack options in the Deer Hill cafeteria as well as expanded menu options.
- During the month of March math specialist Mrs. Thonet kept math on the minds of Deer Hill students with her Esti-Mystery interactive bulletin board. Students loved posting their guesses to a new estimation problem each week as clues were revealed before the answer was announced on Fridays!
- Did you know that Deer Hill has its own meteorologist? For the past month, 5th grade Flynn Jansen has been reporting the weather each Tuesday during morning announcements. With polished prose and a command of the intricacies of Mother Nature, Flynn seems to have a future in forecasting! Enjoy this clip of Flynn in action.
- The end of March brought the conclusion of a successful Read-a-Thon. Many thanks to the PSO for their wonderful organization of this month-long event. Classes showed their love of books by decorating their classroom doors as a final Read-a-Thon activity.
- It's CEF grant season, and Deer Hill has submitted several grants for consideration. Past grants in action include Mr. DeWaal's ukulele program and our Deer Hill garden program with Holly Hill Farm. Our courtyard will also be getting extensive updates in the coming months thanks to the generosity of the CEF. We're excited to have it become an even better learning space!
- Ms. Aleisa Gittens-Carle, Cohasset METCO director, has begun a weekly morning check-in with students who travel from Boston. This week they participated in a team-building activity where they built structures using marshmallows and spaghetti -- quite the combination!
- Mark your calendars for April 28 from 7-8:30 pm: Favorites Art Night is returning after a two year hiatus! Stroll the hallways of Deer Hill and listen to live piano music while you view art on display from all Deer Hill students.
Deer Hill Dates
MCAS administration dates: April & May (see Deer Hill calendar linked below)
Professional development (half day): 4.8.22, 1:15 (lunch is served)
Good Friday (no school): 4.15.22
Spring Break (no school): 4.18.22-4.22.22
Favorites Art Night: 4.28.22, 7-8:30 pm
"May the 4th Be with U-kraine" blue/yellow/Star Wars spirit day: 5.4.22
End Hunger NE community service event: 5.4.22, 5-8pm (two 90 minute shifts)