Little Rock Nine
By: Kaley Umstead
5 Facts about Civil Rights:
- Civil Rights Movement began on December 1, 1955.
- All began in Montgomery, Alabama because Rosa Parks, an African-American woman, was arrested for refusing to move to the back of the bus.
- The Civil Rights Act was originally proposed by President JFK.
- Main goal for Civil Rights included ensuring that people's rights were equally protected by law.
- Also has been called the "Second Reconstruction".
Little Rock Nine:
All about the Little Rock Nine:
Map of Central High located in Little Rock, Arkansas
What happened to the Little Rock Nine afterwards?
- One of the members named, Melba Patillo grew up to become a reporter for NBC news.
- Terrance Roberts, another member of Little Rock Nine, continued his education and earned his Ph.D. He became a professor at UCLA.
- Ernest Green, one of the most successful out of the Little Rock Nine, worked as Assistant Secretary of Labor for President Jimmy Carter.
Martin Luther King Jr connects to the Little Rock Nine because they both put effort into the segregation issues. Martin Luther King Jr was a leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement. Based on his Christian beliefs, he used nonviolent civil disobedience. MLK Jr is really best known for his nonviolent civill disobedience.