Thank you for another amazing week at SV. Our Softball/Baseball games start THIS WEEK! Our teams are so strong, so even if you don't have a child on the team, come out and support our Vipers!
This week, we continued to reinforce our expectations and dive deeper into content. The learning and excitement across campus is evident - not just with our students, but with our teachers as well.
Why do we have Early Release Fridays? What is a PLC?
Every Friday, we engage in Professional Learning Communities (PLCs). During this collaborative time, our teacher teams look at essential standards and create pathways to effectively ensure students master the standards by answering the following 4 questions:
1. What do we want students to know and be able to do?
2. How will we know students have learned?
2a. What instructional practices will produce our best results?
3. What do we do if students have not learned?
4. What do we do when students have already shown mastery?
During our PLC time, our teachers create assessments to monitor learning and use the data to guide instruction and determine next steps, such as re-engagement, to help when they have not mastered the learning, or extension when they have mastered the content.
Once a month, our teachers in departmentalized grades (4-8th grade), meet on larger scale in our Multi-School Collaborate Team (MSCT). We partner with Sonoran Foothills, Stetson Hills, Diamond Canyon, and Legend Springs to collaborate and discuss best instructional practices based specifically on content area.
Want to join SV?
We are still on the lookout for any individuals interested in joining our SV family! We are looking for crossing guards to help out at drop off and pickup - from 8:00-8:45 AM AND/OR from 3:00-3:45 PM. We are also looking for a cook in our cafeteria from 7:30 AM - 2:00 PM. If you would like to find out more about these positions, please call our office!
Some reminders from our office:
- If your student is attending any of our before school clubs or tutoring, please pull up to the curb in front of the office and drop them off - as our parking lot is for our staff.
- Please make sure that you call the attendance line if your student is going to be absent for any reason - (623) 376-4890
- Breakfast service begins at 8:10 AM, no students can be dropped off prior to 8:10 AM - as there is no adult supervision available.
- If your student has tutoring in the morning, please do not drop them off before 8:00 AM - as there is no adult supervision available.
Connect with Us!
- Monday, September 4
- SCHOOL CLOSED - LABOR DAY
- Tuesday, September 5
- GenTech Club - Radical Robots (K-3) - After school - Room 712
- Young Rembrandts Drawing Club - After school - Room 517
- AWAY Softball Game @ Sonoran Foothills - 4:30 PM
- HOME Baseball Game @ SV - 4:30 PM
- Wednesday, September 6
- Team Connect - 8:00 AM - Room 608
- Volunteer Training - 6:00 PM - SV Library
- Baseball/Softball Practice - after school
- B.O.L.T.S. Club - after school - Room 502
- Chess Emporium Club - after school - Room 514
- Thursday, September 7
- Battle of the Books - 8:00 AM - SV Library
- Bonanza Educational Club - after school - Room 711
- GenTech Club - Rocket Science - after school - Room 513
- AWAY Baseball Game @ Terramar - 4:30 PM
- HOME Softball Game @ SV - 4:30 PM
- Friday, September 8
- STUCO Meeting - 7:45 AM - SV Library
- FULL DAY FRIDAY - No Early Release
- September 15 - 2:00 PM - Early Release for Teacher Professional Development
- September 19 - 6:30 PM - PTSO Meeting in the Library
Volunteer Trainings (One Class Required for NEW Volunteers) - All trainings will be held in the SV Library
- October 30th - 8:45 AM - Volunteer Training
We are always excited to be able to welcome our parents/guardians back to help volunteer and visit at SV. If you would like to visit, we welcome you to come and eat lunch with your child in the MPR. Please arrive on time, and bring lunch only for your student - as we cannot have lunches passed out to other student or friends in the MPR for their safety. If you are interested in volunteering, we will soon welcome you back in our classrooms once we have our classroom procedures setup and in place. Mandatory volunteer training dates (required for all NEW volunteers) are listed below! If you are already a trained volunteer, please be sure to stop by the office to update your information.
As a reminder, we require all parents to follow our school rules and dress code on campus and ask that you do not use any cell phones or tablets in the MPR or around our students.
Each week, one student from each grade level is recognized for making a positive difference on our campus. Thank you to Mila, Akira, Ella, Emmanuel, Julia, Hazel, Gary, Kessi, Natalie, Trystan, Rylee, Layla, Audry, and Carmen for making SV a better place!
SV Sports Updates
Our softball and baseball games start next week! Parents and athletes, remember all fees and paperwork MUST be turned in before your child can play in any games.
All payments are due online through our SV website under athletics: $60 athletic fee, $30 family admission pass, and $20 hat/visor( if they do not have one from last year). They MUST also have their signed SV Student Contract turned in. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Cullen. Team shirt fee of $20 cash is due to Coach Gonzalez ASAP.
Games start at 4:30, or may start at 4:15 if both teams are ready! Concessions will be sold at all home games! Water, chips, fruit rolls ups and Popsicles!!! We will also have SV hats for sale for $20!
Welcome to Our New Baseball Coach - Coach Daly!
Coach Dave Daly is joining the Viper Baseball coaching staff this fall. Coach Dave has been developing young athletes since 2016. He loves the game of baseball and the life lessons that can be learned on the field of play. In his rare moments away from the baseball field, he enjoys spending time with his family, hiking, and reading historical fiction novels.
A Message From PTSO
Silent Auction Donations NEEDED!
Happy September! September the PTSO’s focus is on donations! We need items for our Bingo Night prizes as well as items for our Silent Auction. Your child will be bringing home a flyer going over what we are looking for. Please review the flyer and contact us if you are able to help.
Time for Yearbooks!!
30% Off Spirit Gear until September 7th!
Our PBIS store is OPEN! Students can use their points earned for being a Problem-solver, being Engaged, being Accountable, and being Kind to purchase fun items. These items are delivered on Fridays. If you are interested in tracking your student through our PBIS Rewards app, download the PBIS Rewards for Family app and ask your child's teacher for their unique QR code.
If you are interested in donating to our PBIS store, we have a PBIS Store Amazon wishlist. You can also drop off any donation items to our office - new/gently loved stuffed animals are always a popular item.
1. We need parent volunteers to help keep inventory and package PBIS rewards for students.
2. The store needs rewards! There are many ways to donate – new and gently used toys, party favors – anything that kids would be excited to receive!
3. Help stock the PBIS Store Rewards Store by purchasing Rewards directly on Amazon. If you purchase from our PBIS Rewards wishlist it will ship directly to campus and our kids can purchase immediately. Stock our store here: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2YZ9H9VV492G3?ref_=wl_share
If you have are available to donate your time or have questions about our PBIS program, please contact Mrs. Stephanie Hoffpauir in the front office.
Back to School Packet
If you have not done so already, please review the SV Student Handbook, Off & Away All Day Policy, DVUSD Student Rights & Responsibilities Handbook, as well as the DVUSD Directory, Internet and E-Mail User Agreement. Once you have read and reviewed, please print, sign, and return the checklist page only to your child’s homeroom teacher as soon as possible. You may also scan it and email the copy to Jennifer.Morales@dvusd.org . If you need a paper copy of the checklist, copies are available in the front office.
Pick Up & Drop Off Procedure Reminders
- Make sure that all adults who will be picking up students at 3:30 have a purple placard with the student's Last Name and Grade clearly written in marker bold and big so we can read them. Placards are available in the office. Take as many copies as you need (one for mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, etc......).
- Please pull forward and follow all staff directions around the pick up loop, don't stop short, and stay in your car.
- We will load you kids, if they need help buckling, pull up and around the loop to the buckle zone past our bike rack
- We do not have any supervision of students until 8:30 am so please do not drop off or leave any kids unattended before 8:30 am.
- Please be patient and be kind to staff and other drivers as it takes a few weeks for all to learn our procedures. Remember out staff is out in 100+ degree weather keeping all our kids safe, and everyone's safety is more important than any individual's convenience
- If you do not have a kindergarten student, you must use the front loop for morning drop-off. We do not have enough spaces for additional vehicles, and our front loop is much more efficient and safe for our 1st-8th graders.
- Do not cross any streets outside of the designated and manned crosswalks in the am or pm. We have had some very close calls and pedestrians almost struck crossing rose garden illegally.
- If picking up on 74th, please be sure that you are not parking or waiting in the "no parking/loading zone" and please do not block any private driveways
- Please pull all the way down the loop before dropping off. Your student should not be getting out of the car when the line slows down
- Do not enter the parking lot through the EXIT
- All 1st-8th grade students should be dropped off in the front traffic loop, parking in the lot is reserved for Kindergarten parents only. It is also not permissible to park and cross Rose Garden or 74th Ave at any point other than our crosswalks.
- 8:45 is the start of our academic day, kids who are not in class at 8:45 will need a tardy pass.
- We cannot sign students out after 3:15.
- Do not text your students during the school day, phones are available for use at the office with staff permission.
- We will not interrupt instruction to relay messages or deliver items left at home (unless medically needed)
- Attendance warnings will be sent home for students who are absent more than 10% of days in session or who have accumulated 5+ tardies
- If you have a concern or question regarding progress, grades, or behavior, address the classroom level teacher per our DVUSD Problem Solving Guidance
- School staff and administration are not available to meet on demand, appointments will be made to set up meetings or phone calls for administrators and teachers. Walk-in appointments are not an option.
- SV teachers adhere to an email curfew. They will check emails Monday - Friday from 7:00 AM to 8:30 AM and 3:30 PM to 5:00 PM only
- SV staff will respond to emails within 48 hours, excluding weekends & holidays.
Food & Nutrition
For the 23-24 school year, we will once again be charging for school meals, to apply for a free or reduced meal application visit https://secure.ezmealapp.com or stop by Sierra Verde for a paper application (though the online process is much quicker). See the complete information from DVUSD Food & Nutrition below.
We will not be allowing outside food or drink for any reason on campus. DVUSD has a birthday bucket order form that will be the only method of birthday treats for 23-24. You can fill out an application for a birthday bucket and work with our Cafeteria Manger Mrs. Debbie Jasperson to arrange these birthday treats. The Birthday Bucket application is on our homepage and is linked below as well.
In order to keep meal account balances topped off, you can put money on the student account with cash or check. Please drop off any cash or check in the office, or use E-Z school pay. EZ School pay also has an app available to download and track your balance.