3L Weekly News
Week Ending May 1, 2015
This week in...
PARCC: we wrapped up our final week of PARCC testing on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I was SO pleased with how diligently and determined students were to complete their best work.
Reading: we wrapped up working with The Albertosaurus Mystery and drawing conclusions. We also spent time visualizing the words we read in our heads by reading and discussing our visualizations from our anthology, guided reading, and in our independent readings selections. At home, encourage your child to drawing conclusions in their personal readings. Please continue discuss how to draw conclusions and identify text details that support each conclusion! This week we also read an informational text titled A Tree is Growing written by Arthur Dorros and illustrated by S.D. Schindler. The story tells the reader about trees. During this story, we reviewed vocabulary terms and worked on the target skill: Text and Graphic Features and the strategy: Question. Please continue to reinforce the concept of identifying Text and Graphic Features with your child. During our discussion, we spent time looking at pictures of trees in Redwood National Forrest. If you or your family have ever visited this location and have pictures, I'd love to share them with the class.
Math: Additionally, we began multiplying double digit numbers using two methods: the partial-products and lattice. During this time, we reviewed multiplying 2 digit numbers with multiples of 10. Then, we progressed to find products of any two-digit numbers. I have been encouraging all students to use their favorite method to solve and check with the other method they know. We also spent time practicing division by splitting money between a given number of people and worked with word problems incorporating positive and negative numbers. We will have a Unit 9 Math Assessment on Thursday.
Writing: we prepared for our newest writing unit: Fairy Tales by reading the original Cinderella, Little Red Cap, and The Three Bill Goats Gruff. Additionally, we've read different adaptations of Cinderella such as Prince Cinders and Cinder Ellen. Students will kick off this unit by writing their own adaptation to one of these original pieces.
Cursive: we reviewed all cursive letters c,a,d,g,h,t,p,e,l,f, u, y, i, j, k, r, s, o, w, v, b, v, m, and n and connected the letters to create words.
Check This Out!
1. Philadelphia Museum of Art comes to Haddonfield
- From May to August, replicas of famous art will be in Haddonfield. Check out the links below for more information. It would be a great way to spend an afternoon!
- I have recently started tweeting on Twitter! You can find our pictures via #centralschoolpride, @mlipski1, or @CentralES1 (Mrs. Simkus' Central page)
3. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts.
4. Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- We did not begin spelling last week because PARCC testing falls on a Day 6. We picked up with spelling on Wednesday, April 29, 2015. We will have our assessment on Wednesday, May 6, 2015.
- It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
- Please continue to assist your child in packing up all homework in order to ensure it comes back to school. A great strategy is to have your child check off each assignment after it is completed and placed back in his/her Take Home Folder.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Tess S.
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Will: Friday, May 8
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Daniel: May 4-May 8
- *Posters will come home one week before your child's scheduled date.
- Megan Griffault Monday, May 4 @ 8:40 am
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
May 4-8 Teacher Appreciation Week
May 6 PAC Meeting 3:10 pm Art Room 191
May 8 CS SPIRIT DAY Wear your gear!
May 20 Scholastic BOGO Sale APR
May 20 PTA Meeting 7:30 pm Library
May 26 Spring Concert 7:30 MS Aud
June 4PTA Information Night
June 5 K End of Year Program
June 5 CS SPIRIT DAY Wear your gear!
June 8-12 Spirit Week
June 11 5th Grade Remembrance 6:00 pm APR
June 12 Awards Assembly
June 12 Spring Social
June 17 Field Day
June 17 5th Grade Swim Party (Rain Day June 18)
June 17-19 Half Days for Students 12:30 Dismissal
June 19 Last Day of the 14-15 School Year
None at this time.
Specials This Week:
Monday is a Day 4:
Tuesday is a Day 5:
Wednesday is a Day 6:
Thursday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Music
Friday is a Day 2:
- Gym and Library
A Word from Third
None at this time.