Peter the Great
- Curious- ex. Visited factories and art galleries, learned anatomy from a doctor and even had a dentist teach him how to pull teeth.
- Determined- ex. wanted to make a modern country and that he did.
- Powerful- ex. Transformed a country.
- The foundation of the city of St Petersburg
- Transformed Russia into the Russian Empire- became one of the most powerful states in Europe with a modern, efficient military
- built the first real Russian navy
- Brought all Russian institutions under his control including the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Forced the haughty boyars, or landowning nobles, to serve the state in civilian or military positions.
- Wanted to westernize- ex. after returning from the West, Peter stipulated that boyars shave their beards.
- Largest standing army in Europe built a world-class navy from scratch and set out to extend Russian borders to the west and south.
- Catherine the Great would achieve defeating the Ottoman Empire before the end of the century.