in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 6, ISSUE 10, MAY 2019 NEWSLETTER
May 3rd is School Lunch Hero Day!
Thank you for all you do in serving healthy meals to our students each and every day!
Your hard work is appreciated!
Milk Mustache Photo Contest to Promote Dairy!
We had a big turnout for the Milk Mustache Photo Contest this year! Thank you to all who participated.
18th Annual Nutrition & Exercise Challenge Grand Prize Bike Give Away!
Thank you for participating in the 18th Annual School Lunch-Lots 2 Love Nutrition & Exercise Challenge at the elementary schools. 26 bikes will be awarded district wide to 26 lucky students who participated in a Nutrition and Exercise Challenge each month during the 2018-2019 school year! Stay tuned for new challenges and new monthly prizes in August!
Summer Food Service Program Sites
Step 1: Preheat broiler.
Step 2: Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring well. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over chicken. Add chicken to pan; sauté for 3 minutes. Add onion, corn, and zucchini to pan; sauté for 2 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in salsa and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.
Step 3: Working with 2 tortillas at a time, arrange tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray. Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla; sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup cheese. Broil an additional 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese. Sprinkle each serving with about 3/4 teaspoon of remaining cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Calories 371
- Fat 11g
- Satfat 4.6g
- Monofat 3.7g
- Polyfat 1.3g
- Protein 30.8g
- Carbohydrate 36.4g
- Fiber 3.9g
- Cholesterol 68mg
- Iron 1.3mg
- Sodium 740mg
- Calcium 182mg
May Safety Tip
Preventative steps and proper housekeeping can be done to prevent most kitchen fires:
- Never leave dish rags or aprons near a hot surface.
- Never leave stoves or other equipment unattended when in use.
- Clean equipment on schedule to help reduce build-up.
- Don't overload electrical outlets.
- Don't force three-pronged cords into two-prong outlets.
- Don't use equipment with a frayed cord or bent prongs.
- Don't use equipment that smokes, sparks or otherwise arouses suspicion.
- MAY: Nutrition & Exercise Challenge Grand Prize Give-Away!
- MAY 3rd: School Lunch Hero Day
- MAY 27th: Memorial Day
- JUNE 3rd-4th: Secondary Early Dismissal Days
- JUNE 5th: District Wide Early Dismissal. Last Day of School
- JUNE 10th: The Summer Food Service Program Starts