Miss Heckathorne's Classroom News
2/10 E Computer
2/11 T Music/PE
2/12 C Library
Parent Teacher Conferences
There will be no school on February 13th, 14th, and 17th.
Johnson County Spelling Bee
WHAT WE ARE LEARNING:
Math: This week we are finishing Topic 8: Multiplying 2-Digit Numbers. Our topic test will be this Wednesday. Our objectives are:
- multiplying by multiples of 10
- using partial products to multiply 2 digit by 2 digit numbers
- using the standard algorithm to multiply 2 digit by 2 digit numbers
- problem solving to solve 2 question problems
Reading: The students will take a test over determining the theme of a Greek Myth using details from the text, analyzing characters, and summarizing their reading.
We will then begin focusing on text structure.
Writing: The students will begin a writing piece that will be integrated with our Social Studies topic of explorers and immigrants. The students will read about different immigrant groups and explorers who have impacted Kansan. They will then create an informational writing piece and poster to share their knowledge of a specific immigrant group.
Science: This week we are still studying structure and function of plants and animals. Our guiding question is: How are plants, animals, and society structured for survival? This week we will focus on animal adaptations, and also focus on the human brain and eye.
Spelling: There is not a spelling list or test this week due to our shortened week.
Scholastic Book Orders - February
Through a collaborative learning community we will build a foundation upon which all students can develop essential academic and life skills.
Starside will be a Learning Community (staff students, parents, and community members) that collaborates to:
· Provide a safe, positive environment that promotes academic growth, good character, and values diversity.
· Implement researched-based strategies to ensure students achieve academic skill
· Maximize learning time to focus on essential skills
· Monitor student growth based on high expectations