Saturated Fatty Acids
By Brittani Chaffin
Where do we find it?
- Animal fats
- Some plant oils (coconut, palm, and vegetable oils)
Foods High in Saturated Fatty Acids:
- High-fat cuts of meat
- High-fat cheeses
- Whole fat milk and cream
- Ice cream
- Palm and coconut oils
Recommendations for Intake?
- Less than 10% of daily calories
- American Heart Association suggests about 5-6% of daily calories
What effect does it have on our health?
- Causes an increase in blood cholesterol
- Blood clotting that can lead to future heart attacks