Transition Elementary to Secondary
Collaborative Approach- Student Centered
Developing a comprehensive and integrated transition plan for Patty can ease her anxiety and decrease stress for both the student and parent/guardian(s) during this critical period.
- Discuss Individualized Program Plan (IPP) (Transitional Plan is part of IPP)
- Identify goals consistent with Patty’s areas of strengths, needs and preferences
- Define the actions necessary, to help Patty achieve her short and long term goals
- Clarify the roles and responsibilities of Patty, family and school staff
- Identify a timeline for the completion of each of the actions
- Preparation- Build a Planning Team
- Gather Information using MAPS & PATH
- Develop the transition plan
- Implement - ACTIONS & TIMELINE & PAPER WORK
- Update the Plan- SCHEDULES FOLLOW UP MEETINGS
Occupational Therapist and Speech and Language Pathologist
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend transition planning meetings.
- Lead the transition planning meetings, with support.
- Share her personal preferences, goals, and needs with the team
- Ask questions and provide information to the team on various issues
- Assume responsibility for working towards her goals
- Patty will attend orientation session in the new school.
Start meeting with adult service providers to explore what options will be available for Patty
- Attend and participate in team meetings around transitions
- Explore with Patty education, career, or community pathways that would be attainable
- Consider initiating a transition folder outlining strengths, needs and programming considerations
- Prepare Patty for transition and support her in achieving her personal goals.
- Maintain open communication with school to express cares and concerns
- Continue to discuss the importance and benefits of working and earning wages.
School Staff and other parties:
- The School Principal: is responsible for ensuring that IEP transition plans are developed & maintained.
- Ensure documentation is in place prior to the move
- Review IEP and student profile with new teachers.
- Support Patty to increase self-advocacy skills.
- Support Patty in selecting courses relative to her strengths and needs.
- Communicate placement options available for Patty
- Explore appropriate assistive technologies.
- Prepare a transition guide/video prepared for Patty ( map of the school, photos of staff, etc.)
- Special Education Teacher from secondary school will visit the elementary school to observe in the classroom setting