From the desk of Christopher J. Blake
Message for the Week
Wednesday, May 25th, I had the opportunity to attend the SISD 5th Grade Track and Field Meet...an evening where all five elementary schools and the two ECAs join together for an evening of competition. This year was a special day because my 5th grader, Mason, had the opportunity to participate in the Track and Field Meet.
I was asked what it felt like to have a son participating in the Track and Field Meet from the perspective of a school administrator. Honestly, that thought had not crossed my mind…I was dad for that moment! I quickly began to think and many thoughts filled my mind. What does it mean? Not only as a father, but what does it mean to all of the students who participate?
I reminded myself that I watched the students as they walked into Crenshaw Stadium, and began their walk onto the field...seeing the many parents, teachers and principals cheering them on. Their faces were full of expressions…those of excitement, joy, and anticipation. As they found their place on the field, the students began to chant for their schools…until all schools were chanting at the same time! What excitement!
As the events began, competition filled the stadium…not hatred, not anger, not misbehavior, but rather teamwork and competition! For a moment, the students were one…they were representatives of SISD…they were students, they were sons, they were daughters, they were our future.
For my son, who I often learn many life lessons from…win or lose…you always win if you are committed to doing your best and never give up in striving to reach your goals. It is amazing what our youth will teach us…only if we are willing to listen!
Do not forget that our children, our students, have much to teach US! Let them be your inspiration for becoming a better teacher...a better person. Are you listening to your students?
- Sheldon’s End of Year Celebration will be on Thursday, June 2, 2016 in the KHS Auditorium at 2 PM. We will depart Carroll at 1:20 PM at the bus ramp.
- The Carroll Talent Show will be Tuesday, May 31 at 2 PM in the cafeteria.
- Please take time to take the Sheldon ISD staff survey. You will find the survey by visiting http://www.sheldonisd.com/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&ModuleInstanceID=9568&ViewID=7B97F7ED-8E5E-4120-848F-A8B4987D588F&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=17210&PageID=1.
This is the last month to go shop at the Houston Food Bank-Teacher Store. Please don’t forget to sign up online prior to your visit!! Individual teachers may register by visiting houstonfoodbank.3cfreestore.com.
Just a reminder...as we approach the end of the school year, do not forget to change your email password, so it will remain usable over the summer.
- As a reminder, college shirts and dress slacks are allowed every Monday. Additionally, college shirts may be worn with jeans on Fridays. Carroll shirts and educational shirts are allowed on Fridays, as well.
Summer CHAMPS Training
If you have not signed up for the summer CHAMPS training, please do so. If there is a conflict with the dates Carroll is offering the training, please see me so we can explore the options.
- Champs Training Day 1 Course Link - http://www.schoolobjects.com/wshop/default.aspx?cid=2853
Champs Training Day 2 Course Link – http://www.schoolobjects.com/wshop/default.aspx?cid=2854