The Inequality Of Past And Present
By Kelly Shao
The Life Of...
Was born on January 31, 1919 in Cairo, Georgia
Was the first black baseball player in the major leagues
Played for the dodgers after Branch Rickey recruited him
- Died in Connecticut in 1972
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Robinson#/media/File:Jackie_Robinson,_Brooklyn_Dodgers,_1954.jpg. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web
The Life Of...
Was born on October 11, 1884 in New York city
Helped work against segregation
She married Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1905
- Eleanor died of cancer on November 7, 1962, at the age of 78
"Eleanor+roosevelt - Google Search." Eleanor+roosevelt - Google Search. Wikimedia, 3 Nov. 2014. Web. 23 Mar. 2015.
Jackie and Eleanor have both faced inequality by...
Jackie Robinson took racism and discrimination from fans and other players
Eleanor took discrimination from her grandmother and for working against segregation
Overcoming Historical Probloms
Both of these figures had the same challenge of inequality, but in different ways. How did they overcome the challenges they faced?
- Did not listen to other players and fans
- Always let his play do the talking for him
- Stood up for herself and her husband, the president
- Never took negativity personally
Modern times has also faced probloms of Inequality
Blacks are seeing differently than whites- Ferguson- The white police officer who shot the black man
- Whites only prom- Wilcox article- Whites were the only ones allowed to the prom
- There are more examples of inequality in the world
We can fix modern day probloms by...
In order to end inequality, we should raise punishments for people who use inequality for crime (such as discrimination, racism)
- We should also ban such events like the Wilcox Prom unless they allow both races to come at the same
Biblography- In MLA citation
"Eleanor Roosevelt." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 20 Mar. 2015.
Warren, Vincent. "The Real Problem in Ferguson, New York and All of America Is Institutional Racism." TheGaurdian. Guardian News, 24 Dec. 2014. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
Gumbrecht, Jamie. "Segregated Prom Tradition Yields to Unity - CNN.com."CNN. Cable News Network, Dec.. 2013. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
"Jackie Robinson." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 20 Mar. 2015.