Video Chat in the Classroom
Connecting with others as we learn
For the free group video calling, click the link below
Important Things to Remember
2. Have a back-up device nearby.
3. Prep the students to get the best results.
4. Be flexible (time zones can trip you up along with glitchy tech) - have a plan if the students have wait time (maybe have a book to read just in case).
6. Plan where students will sit & where computer & display will be. It's best if you can project. Don't forget speakers.
7. If students will be asking questions, it's best if they are written ahead on cards.
8. Go over expectations - students must stand close to the camera & speak clearly, must sit quietly unless author wants them to be noisy (Tom Angleberger got them riled up on purpose - fun guy).
Resources for Planning and Connecting
Skype an Author Network (some free and some fee)
Lee and Low (multicultural publishers) Authors/Illustrators (may be a fee)
Online Author Visits (fee)
Kate Messner's suggestions for successful author connections
Want to visit with an author who isn't on these lists? Ask - they might just say yes. Many authors are on Twitter or you can check with their publisher.
Some People We Have Met Since Sept. 2012
Kate Messner - Marty McGuire, Eye of the Storm, Capture the Flag & many others
Stephen McCranie - Mal and Chad graphic novels
Michael Scotto - Latasha and the Little Red Tornado
Laurel Snyder - Bigger Than a Bread Box, Any Which Wall
Linda Urban - Mouse Was Mad, Hound Dog True, A Crooked Kind of Perfect
Erica Perl - Chicken Butt, Dotty, When Life Gives You O.J.
Sarah Albee - Poop Happened
Abby Klein - Ready Freddy series
Mina Javaherbin - Goal!
Alan Silberberg - Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
Jean Marzollo - I Spy books
Librarians & Teachers
Shannon Miller - Iowa
John Schu - Illinois
Colby Sharp - Michigan
Erin - Massachusetts
Donna - Vermont
Cathy - Maine
Craig - Nebraska
Matthew - Maryland
Sarah - Wisconsin
Stacy - Oklahoma
Mary - Wisonsin
Allison - Oregon
Cynthia - Texas