Projected Job Openings
Job employment for bakers is projected to grow 7 percent from 2014 to 2024. However, employment for bakers is low do to food companies relying on machines more and more.
$11.62 per hour
$24,170 per year
Tasks Required For Job
- Check the quality of baking ingredients
- Measure and weigh flour and other ingredients
- Combine measured ingredients in mixers or blenders
- Knead, roll, cut, and shape dough
- Place dough into pans, into molds, or onto baking sheets
- Observe color and state of products being baked
- Apply glazes, icings, or other toppings
Skills Required For This Job
- Detail oriented: Must be able to closely monitor things in the oven to prevent them from burning. Must pay attention to detail since pastries and cakes often have intricate designs.
- Math skills: Must have basic math skills in order to measure out ingredients and materials.
- Physical strength: Must be able to hold heavy objects like bags of flour and other ingredients.