Pre-service teachers willing to lend a hand
Why should I get my child a tutor?
- Recent studies from the California Research Bureau report:
- Over the past 10 years, one-on-one tutoring has had the strongest positive effect on reading scores for elementary school students.
- Tutored students show greater school attendance.
- Students receiving at least four hours of tutoring per week showed a six-month gain in reading and a two-year gain in math.
- Tutored students performed higher on standardized test scores in the areas of mathematics and language arts.
- The US Department of Education reports:
- Students who were tutored twice a week for one hour sessions produced strong improvements in reading skills.
- Over 50% of the students successfully increased a full year of reading skills in comparison to a control group with similar characteristics who did not receive tutoring.
- Tutored students increased an average of 2.1 grade levels over the year in comparison with non-tutored students who increased a 1.0 grade level.
- Tutored students reported an increase in confidence and an improved attitude towards education.
- In Japan, about 30 percent of university students receive tutoring services in order to prepare for their university entrance examinations (ranked number four in education).
- In South Korea, households spent 2.9 percent of the Gross Domestic Product on private tutoring in 1998 (ranked number two in education).
My name is Glenn Hall and I am a 28 year non-traditional college student. I returned to school three years ago and I am currently a senior at Illinois State University majoring in Middle School Education. I have endorsements in Science and Social Science. I have a passion for teaching and I want to be able to impact as many students as I can throughout my career.
My name is Kathryn Wilmot and I like to party.
Small group curriculum ( 8-12 students) These small groups will commit to at least on lesson per week and will include all three of the our pre-service teachers. These sessions will go in depth into the specific content areas and further the understanding of the students.
Science Lessons: 45 dollars per student for two hour session. The session will include an experiment and a detailed explanation to create a strong understanding on a specific area of science. (Call for schedule content changes week to week)
Math: 35 dollars per student for a two hour session. Each session will be two hours in length and cover specific elements of math curriculum. (Call for schedule content changes week to week)
English: 30 dollars per student for a two hour session. Each student will receive a book. The students will learn a variety of methods to improve their sentence structure and their vocabulary.