March 17, 2016
Wow, losing 1 hour of sleep can really throw us off. Students are tired. Teachers are tired. Support staff, custodians, maintenance, cafeteria, administrators and bus drivers--all tired. This is the time of year where it is essential to be kind and loving to each other and to yourselves. Breaks come right when you need them!
You will see below, this is also the time that our students are performing well all across the state!! From Color Guard to BDTV, our students are shining. The spring semester is when we really see the results of the months and years of hard work.
A few quick items: As you all know, we have had a surge in mice sightings. We are working closely with the exterminators to eliminate this issue. It is VITAL that we work as a team. Do not leave open food in your room, in drawers, in closets, over night. If you have a need to leave food over night for any reason, please email me and I will get you a plastic box container. Do NOT leave any food items in your room over break! If we continue to feed the mice, they will stay around. I know we have teenagers and teenagers leave trails of crumbs. Our custodians do an excellent job cleaning. But if you leave food out for the mice, they will come visit. And they may come visit your neighbor once they leave your room. Please help! I will supply you with a container if needed.
One last item--I HIGHLY SUGGEST changing your password over the break. We need to get into the habit of changing passwords regularly. NEVER EVER share your user name and password. I never give away my credentials to anyone--even I.T. Our technology experts will never ask you for your user name and password. So please make sure you never share it with anyone and continuously change it up. And please do not write it down on a notepad next to your computer or something similar. It is vital that you protect this information for yourself and for the security of our system.
Thank you for everything you. Our students are excelling in all areas!
Great News and Reminders:
- Amazing email from Dennis Goins! Great job to our BDTV students! " Ben Davis High School/BDTV finished as the runner-up in the 2016 Television School of the Year competition .
State Champions-1st place winners:(2)
Television News Anchor:
Television School Newscast:
2nd place winners:(2)
Jenna Pierpont & Darien Hamilton
Cory Collins & Makayla Melton
3rd place winners: (4)
Cory Collins, Isaac Merriweather, Kyle MacKinnon, Grant Sailes, & Alex Shattuck
Organized by UIndy’sDepartment of Communication and its student-run stations, UIndy TV and WICR-FM/HD public radio, the event drew more than 800 students and instructors from 28 Indiana high schools for workshops and discussions led by local mediaprofessionals. The contest, also judged by professional broadcasters, drew nearly 500 entries in 28 categories, some evaluated in advance and others decided during final rounds live in the UIndy studios.
I am truly proud of our BDTV family in this year's competition. Thank you very much for your continued support!"
- Congratulations to our Band Program as our drum line was SECOND in state last weekend and our Color Guard was THIRD in the state! Again--top 5 in both programs! Furthermore, Amanda Fordyce was awarded the IHSCGA (Indiana HS Color Guard Association) scholarship!
- Congratulations to Emily Rasmussen was awarded a scholarship from the Hoosier State Press Association for finishing runner-up in this years journalist of the year contest!
- Congratulations to all the teachers who will be honored at the Top 30 ceremony!! A link to the list is below!
- Congratulations to all the teachers chosen for senior choice!! Link to this list is below as well.
- Congratulations to NiSean Jones for winning the Ben Davis Martin Luther King Jr. Award! Picture is below.
Upcoming Home Events
Thursday, March 17: Blood drive, Homeroom Schedule
Friday, March 18: Track and Field, Free jean's day!
Saturday, March 19: Show Choir State Finals at North Central
Monday, March 21-Friday, April 1: Spring Recess (offices closed the second week)
Tuesday, March 22: Softball vs Decatur Central
Thursday, March 24: Girls' Track and Field
Wednesday, March 30: Girls' Tennis vs Pike
Tuesday, April 5: Girls' Tennis vs Pike, Boys' Track and Field
Wednesday, April 6: Softball vs Brownsburg
Friday, April 8: Baseball vs Covenant Christian
Saturday, April 9: ACT