Full Time Nanny Needed ASAP!
“If You Have Enthusiasm, A Positive Attitude, A Few Basic Skills, And If Anyone Has Ever Jokingly Called You Mary Poppins. I Have A $400/Week, Fun And Fulfilling Job Just For You!”
Dear Prospective Employee,
First of all, thanks for taking the time to visit this site. It’s my hope that you have precisely what I need in an employee so I can take this page down immediately and put you to work in the fun and rewarding job I have available.
You should have arrived here because you saw my employment ad on Craigslist, on Facebook, or from a friend.
So, let me tell you about my family and the job.
We're a BUSY family with 2 young kids, ages 4 and 18 months. Together, my husband and I generally work 100+ hours per week, are very active in our church, and home school our 4 year old. We both work from a home office so we are "around a lot," but we need someone who can focus on our kids so we can focus on work.
If you are hired for this job, you'll need to understand that we are looking for a nanny and NOT a babysitter. This is someone who has the energy for arts and crafts, playing games, and going outdoors with the kids, but understands that running a household with young kids is much, much more than that. The right person will be someone who can jump in with energy and a plan for the day, who can keep the house and the kiddos in good order, and who understands that we are perfectly capable of plugging our children into an IPad or television for free.
If you are hired, your hours will be 8am - 6pm, Monday through Friday at a rate of $400/week for a 90 day on-boarding/ probationary period.
Tasks We Need You To Perform
- Planning kids daily activities: we expect our kids to run, move, and learn through play. They thrive best when they have some type of structure to their day, but always doing the same activities will get tedious for you and for them. Our ideal candidate will approach each day with a smile and a plan that will help our children learn and have fun.
- Giving kids active play time: Not trying to beat a dead horse, but our kids are young and need to burn off energy. That means going outside when the weather is nice.
- Enforcing rules and reminding kids of their responsibilities: We believe our kids thrive on consistency. You must be able to consistently enforce rules. Additionally, our kids are given age-appropriate chores and responsibilities (such as cleaning-up after meals and putting away their laundry) we are looking for someone who will remind the kids of what they are to do, not do it for them.
- Tutoring/schooling: We home school our 4 year and follow a faith-based curriculum as we are a Christian family. We are looking for someone who will help our kids with lessons and will plan activities (see #1 item above) that can help reinforce the formal lessons.
- Preparing meals: this includes breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack for the kids as well as starting the family dinners at night.
- Kids laundry: wash, dry, and help kids put away their clothes each week.
- Put kids down for nap: the 18 month old takes a nap everyday, the 4 year may need a nap on occasion.
- Light cleaning: we like to follow the "if you make a mess clean it up" rule with the kids. Same will go for the nanny. For instance, if you do a craft and make a mess, we expect you to clean it up. We also need someone who will clean up after the kids' meals - wipe down counters, tables, floors (and kids!) - as well as load and unload the dishwasher.
- Driving: You must be able to safely drive our children to and from activities, the library, and the park.
- Keep us informed: We need someone who will communicate with us. Is one of the kids having trouble with something? Is there only 1 diaper left? Did you use the last of the ketchup? Just a few example of things we need to know.
Required for the position:
These are the experience, skills, and other capabilities that you must already have in order to qualify for this position:
- Experience with children 5 and under on more than a part-time basis: this is an important one. Babysitting young children occasionally is very different than being their primary source of care all day, every day.
- Experience as an educator or in a home school environment: We educate our children from home so we're looking for someone who understands what it means to create that type of environment every day.
- Time management skills: kids need to eat, you need to eat, nap time, outdoor time, crafts, reading.... you need to know how to manage your time.
- Ability to be consistent with children: this comes down to rules and follow through. If our kids know the rules and you follow through everyone is happier.
- Have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation: if you can't get to work, we can't work. We also need you to be reliable and responsible enough to drive our children! Sort of a big deal.
If you have these additional qualifications, your resume will go right to the top of the stack (but if you don’t have them, you should still apply because these are not mandatory).
- College eduction
- Experience as a tutoring nanny or homeschooling nanny
How To Apply
I’m looking to hire the right person As Soon As Possible! So if this job sounds good to you, follow these instructions now.
Here’s what I want from you. NOTE: Failure to follow these instructions will result in your resume going in the circular file. This is your first test, okay?
- Write me a letter explaining why you are the perfect person to fill this position. Include full contact information (name, address, phone, email) on this cover letter.
- On a separate sheet of paper list at least three references with phone numbers and what your relationship is with the reference (i.e. previous employer, college professor, etc).
- Put the cover letter on top of your resume and the reference sheet underneath your resume and staple everything together.
- Mail to the following address:
Revolution Fitness Club
11015 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, Va. 23602
- The above address is our family business, but you will be working out of our home, which is also in Newport News.
I will review your resume. If we feel you’re a good prospect, I’ll call or email you to set up a personal interview.
The sooner I get your resume, the better. This will not be a long, drawn out process. I believe in taking action quickly. So get your resume over to me pronto! I look forward to reviewing it and hopefully meeting you personally.
Again, thanks very much for your interest,
Mark and Kelly Guerrettaz
P.S. Obviously, this is not a corporate type of structured job, but this is not the type of job where just showing up is enough. Performance is everything to us. If you perform, you will be rewarded. We want nothing more than to find a person who takes a real interest in our children and their well-being. If that's you, we promise that $400/week is only the starting point. We recognize and reward performance!
With all that said, as we mentioned in the headline on this page, enthusiasm and a positive attitude go a long way. We are a positive, upbeat family and appreciate those qualities in others. As long as you have the basic skills and a great attitude, you’re definitely a candidate! So send us your resume today!