Battle at Fort Sumter
THE START OF THE CIVIL WAR
April 12-14 1861
- First shot by Henry S. Farley
- Morters shot over walls and into the fort.
- Union Major Anderson could not use all of his available 60 guns because of the land attack.
- Confederates used "Hot Shots" to catch fires inside of the fort. This caused many problems and eventually caused the surrender of the fort.
- A total of about 3,000 shells were fired at the fort.
During the bombardment there were 0 casualties. Two Union soldiers died during the 100 gun salute that was asked for by the Union in the terms of giving up the fort. Daniel Hough and Galloway ended up being the first two deaths in the Civil War.
The Confederates forced the "surrender" of Fort Sumter. The Confederates have won the first battle of the Civil War.
The Civil War: Fort Sumter