Asheville Primary School
Family Connection 3/27/22
MARCH 29th-APRIL 1
SHARKS in the Learning Commons? Yes...and everywhere else this week.
- In PE, there will be Shark Games
- In Music, you'll explore the power of music to evoke strong emotions
- In Shine Lab, hear the book about Eugenia Clark, Shark Lady and do your own book trailer project
- In Art, you'll do some ocean inspired creations
- In the hallways, you'll find "shark facts" and decor to make you think you're in a shark tank yourself!
- In the classrooms, you'll explore the world of oceanography and environmentalism.
Wednesday: We'll meet with our very own SHARK LADY from Team ECCO, Inc. Each class will spend time hearing about the adventures of a shark scientist from the aquarium in Hendersonville. Visit their website to see what this aquarium has to offer: https://www.teamecco.org/
Friday: All students will receive a copy of the Shark Lady book. Students will be given the chance to sign each other's books as a keepsake. This book is beautiful with wonderful text features. Plan to spend some time reading together and learning about this amazing shark scientist.
PLAYGROUND MEET UP: March 24 Reflections
- We did an "okay" job of cleaning up. Since our students know where everything is and clean up after themselves during the day, let's make sure we guide them in cleaning up all materials for the Meet Ups, too. Getting out the materials to play also requires the responsibility to put them back in all the spaces.
- During the day, we have 5 areas of the playground and each has been deemed safe for specific activities so that we are able to steer clear during play and play well together. Please take a look at the diagram below. There are signs posted on the playground fences to remind everyone what types of games are best in each area. All school rules for safety are expected and families are responsible for monitoring their children so that everyone can play safely.
- Last Thursday, we stayed on the field and garden areas until the buses left, but that seemed to be difficult for young ones to understand (those not staying and those eager to get on the swings). In order to open all the areas at once, we will adjust the time next month to 3:00-4:15. Clean up will be at 4:05 so that all can participate together.
It was such a great experience to be able to play together in the sunshine! This is a good time to make connections with other families and making future plans for play dates with your child's friends. Please join us for the next Playground Meet Up on April 25th 3:00-4:15.
Use this link to order an APS shirt anytime. (Remember shipping has been taking awhile, so it may take a couple of weeks to get it.)
NO SCHOOL MARCH 28
Fill out this form to indicate your interest and availability to volunteer at APS. Please remember that all volunteer activities are subject to Covid restrictions and safety protocols.
WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH
Do you know Malala's Story? Research it with your family to find out more.
Click here to sign up for a workshop for parents who want to foster an anti-bias environment at home. Title I funds paid your fee so it is FREE. Log in and participate at your own rate, based on your own schedule. HURRY...this offer expires in May!
COMING IN APRIL
April 11-18 Spring Break
April 28 Allan Wolf Visit
Attendance & Tardies
COVID UPDATES FOR PREK-4 STUDENTS AND STAFF~Voluntary Masking
At this week's board meeting, the decision was made to change the mask mandate to OPTIONAL VOLUNTARY MASKING beginning MONDAY, MARCH 14th. We know this will bring some big emotions for some students and staff. Please take some time to discuss your family's choice and how your child will proceed with masking. According to the new masking decision, staff will not be monitoring whether or not your child is wearing a mask appropriately. Please discuss as a family what your preferences are prior to Monday.
Feeling anxious? Let us know if your child has big feelings around this new decision. We will support some strategies for feeling safe and calm about the new change.