THE FAMILY ZONE
Equipping the Domestic Church/ISSUE 83/ 4.3.22
Heading Toward Holy Week
LIVE THE EUCHARIST
The Mass of the Lord's Supper, on Holy Thursday, is the remembrance of the Institution of the Eucharist, the Source and Summit of our faith. Every time we celebrate the Eucharist, Jesus is present with us in the bread and wine that becomes his body and blood. When we receive the Eucharist, we are formed in Christ's love to go out into the world, nourished to do his work. Make a plan to attend the Mass of the Lord's Supper at your parish during Holy Week this year. If you have never been, open your eyes and ears to all of the beautiful symbolism around you. If you haven't been to Mass in awhile, use this beautiful celebration as your starting point of a wonderful journey back.
Click on the link below for the readings that you will hear at the Sunday's Mass for the coming two weeks. This will give you a chance to prepare your heart and mind for full and active participation in Mass this weekend! For a Mass schedule in our diocese click on the grey button below.
Family Stories: Story Time with a Positive Message.
- Little Rose of Sharon by Nan Gurky
- Little Colts Palm Sunday by Michelle Abrams
- The Easter Story Egg (available on Amazon..takes you through Holy Week with nesting eggs.)
Parenting Articles: How to help your child understand Holy Week; not just Easter: https://mamamanages.com/holy-week-for-kids/
If you do not have access to FORMED, choose a Holy Week feature from this list put together by Catholic Digest. https://www.catholicdigest.com/amp/entertainment/worth-watching/movies-for-lent/
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Word of the Week!
- How did Jesus feel when his friends betrayed him in the Garden of Gethsemane and again at the cross?
- Have you ever had a time when you felt you had been betrayed by your friends?
- What was Peter thinking when the bystanders asked if he knew Jesus? Would I do the same thing Peter did?
- How did Simon feel when he was called to help Jesus carry the cross? Could you do that? Do you help anyone in your life "carry a cross?" What does it mean when someone says "we are called to take up our cross and follow Jesus?"
- How would it have felt to be in the crowd when they called for Jesus' crucifixion?