Central Heights Band Newsletter
September 23, 2022
Main items to pay attention to in this week's newsletter:
- Concert Tuesday October 4th @ Central Heights (shirts not ready yet - see below)
- First week of lessons & Practice Expectations
- Jazz Band starts October 14th - Sign up now.
- Band Lesson Academy (private lessons w/ professionals) - registration closing soon!
Be in touch. Take Care!
Central Heights Fall Concert - October 4th (Music Uniform Update!)
Band Concerts are an essential part of students sharing their musical growth with families and the community. Attendance is expected of all band students - if you have any conflicts or need help, please reach out. And...we have a beautiful auditorium here at Central Heights!
****Music Uniform - UPDATE for OCTOBER CONCERT****
- The student performance shirts are running a bit behind on production
- Students should plan to wear nicer school clothes (nothing fancy) for the concert.
- No pants with holes, CHMS Huskie Gear encouraged
6:30 - 6th Grade Bands
- The first concert! We have a new creation "Hot Cross Rock" including improvisation we're excited to share with you!
- Students should arrive by 6pm for warm-up & attendance
7:30 - 7th & 8th Grade Band
- Each band will perform separately, 2 or 3 pieces
- Students should arrive by 7pm for warm-up & attendance
Band Lessons Schedule & Practice Expectations
Every band student will receive a weekly private lesson for about 10 minutes with Mr. Melrose or Mr. Metcalf (part-time music teacher).
- Tab #1 is a Master Spreadsheet. Hi "Ctrl F" and type in last name to find time
- Tab #2 is Band Spreadsheet where you can see how they fit into a schedule
When do they occur?
Students are schedule at a time that works for them during WIN time, lunch recess, or during a class's individual work time. Teachers work together to find a time best for reach student. Lessons can also happen after school - be in touch so we can find the best time for every student.
Should students be practicing? YES!
Our brain works best with regular repetition - and challenges that make us work, but not get overly frustrated.
Some practice location/options include:
- Practicing at school during Recess or WIN
- Practicing after school
- Taking instrument home
Aim for at least 5 - 10 minute most every day. Sometimes it snowballs more. Practice something you're good at and something that's hard (slow it down, chunk it up, repetition). Every student has practice goals for their lesson next week.
No problem - it can be very confusing. Email or call and I'm happy to help figure it out.
Jazz Band starts October 14th - Sign Up Now!
Jazz Bands will rehearse:
- Two mornings/week from 7:30 - 8:15am on Mondays & Thursday mornings.
- Rehearsals begin Thursday 10/14 and we will end likely end of April.
- There will be no rehearsals Dec. 12 - 23.
There will also be a handful of performances possibly including and limited to:
- Sun Prairie Middle School Jazz Festival, Friday March 3rd, clinics during school day, after school, & evening concert
- Swing Into Spring Jazz Extravaganza, Friday April 14th, 7pm
- Other TBD (school & community events)
Sign up HERE
BAND LESSON ACADEMY - REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
In the past, many students and families have found value in taking private lessons with amazing professionals on their instrument. Good news - those teachers come right to Central Heights after school on Tuesdays 4:00 -8:00 PM!
Band Booster Lesson Academy information and registration can be found here.
About the Sun Prairie Band Boosters Lesson Academy
The Sun Prairie Band Booster Lesson Academy has been created to provide convenient access to quality private instrument instruction for students in the Sun Prairie Band Program. The program is designed to give students access to one-on-one instruction on their instrument with professional musicians/teachers that specialize on specific instruments.
The benefits of private instrument instruction include; accelerated study of instrument technique and repertoire, preparation of audition materials, or study of subjects of particular interested (e.g. solo literature or improvisation).
The Sun Prairie Band Booster Lesson Academy is designed to serve those students not currently studying privately. It is not designed to take students away from local teachers not in the Sun Prairie Band Booster Lesson Academy and should not be interpreted as a signal to change teachers. There are many fine teachers in the immediate area who offer quality instruction.
Band Calendar & Upcoming Dates
Linked above is our calendar for the year. Please communicate in as much advance as possible with any conflicts and reach out if you have any questions.
Tuesday October 4, Central Heights Band Concert (6:30 - 6th, 7:30 - 7th & 8th)
Saturday November 11, Sun Prairie Honors Band (by audition, 7th & 8th Grade)
Monday December 12, Winter Concert @ SP East (6:30pm - 6th & 7th, 8pm - 8th)
Thursday January 5, Pep Band Night @ SP West, optional (3 - 8pm)
- 7th & 8th grade have new mallets & sticks to order. Check pg. 2 of the above document
- NEED HELP? Just ask.
How to order:
- Click button below "Ward-Brodt - Supplies"
- Select "Central Heights - Band"
- Select Instrument
BUCKY BOOK FUNDRAISER (Now until Oct. 13)
Sun Prairie Band Boosters offer a variety of optional fund-raisers throughout the year to #1 help support great programs like bringing in guest artists and composers and #2 earn credits to students’ individual band ledger that can be used for:
Field Trips (8th Grade - Kalahari, approx $40)
Sound of Sun Prairie Marching Band
Bucky books are $35 each and students receive $11.25 credited to their ledger for every book sold. PLUS if you sell 5 books, the sixth book is FREE. If you sell that sixth book, that means $91.25 credited to students ledgers for the above purposes!
The Bucky Book sale goes until October 13th and books can be picked up from Mr. Melrose – email@example.com