Who is Wayne Williams?
- born on May 27, 1958
- raised in Atlanta's Dixie Hills neighborhood of Northwest Atlanta
- Parents were Homer and Faye Williams
- graduated from Douglass High school and developed a keen interest in radio and journalism
- he constructed his own carrier-current radio station
- Murders started in 1979
Fibers in cases
Fiber evidence is often used to corroborate other evidence in a case. it is used to support other testimony and validate other evidence presented at a trial. In this case other evidence and other aspects of the trial were important but were used to support and complement the fiber evidence.
Fibers on victims
- carpet only made for one year
- 16,397 square yards of carpet containing that fiber
- sold to retailers in 10 southeastern states
- By assuming that this carpet was installed in one room, averaging 12 feet by 15 feet in size, per house, and also assuming that the total sales of carpet were divided equally among the 10 southeastern states, then approximately 82 rooms with this carpet could be found in the state of Georgia
- 638,995 occupied housing units in the Atlanta metropolitan area in at the time
- finding a house with a room having carpet like Williams’s carpet was determined to be 1 chance in 7,792