Vikings Counselor Connection
Schreiber Guidance Department Newsletter June 2022
Congratulations Paul D. Schreiber Class of 2022!
A note from the Director's Desk
Greetings, Schreiber Students and Families,
Welcome to June! I challenge anyone to disagree with the notion that this was the fastest school year ever. So much has changed since September, yet it feels like we are back to where we were pre-pandemic. In May, we celebrated the Class of 2022 Department Awards with a full audience of students and families for the first time since 2019. The energy in the auditorium was truly wonderful, and we look forward to doing it again this month with the Community Awards on June 15th. Invitations will be sent out to seniors who are selected for awards by next week.
The School Counselors, in collaboration with the English Department, delivered a college essay workshop to juniors in May. Students learned how to perform a values exercise, and came away with essential tips on how to write an effective college essay.
Also in May, we said goodbye to Ms. Cangemi, our leave replacement counselor for Mr. Gomez. Ms. Cangemi was with us for almost two years and did a wonderful job supporting her students. Ms. Galdamez joined the department on May 31st and she is excited to get to know everyone in the Schreiber community.
While I am astonished that another school year is almost over, I continue to be impressed by the resolve and kindness of our students. You should be proud of your growth and accomplishments during this challenging year. I hope you can use the summer as a time to pause and reflect upon the lessons you have learned from those challenges.
This will be the last Vikings Counselor Connection for 2021-2022, but it will be back in September with more updates and information from Schreiber Guidance.
Have a happy, safe, restful summer!
Lorrie Director, Pre-K-12 Director of Guidance
High School Guidance Team
Counselors and email addresses
Guidance Office phone: (516) 767-5810
Office Hours: 8:00 am - 3:15 pm
Ms. Cerny firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Galdamez email@example.com
Ms. Garcia firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Jacobson email@example.com
Ms. Hazan firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Lorge email@example.com
Ms. Ludwig firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Rafferty email@example.com
Ms. Strell firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome Ms. Galdamez!
Important Naviance Student Task for Seniors
*Important* Class of 2022 - must read!
- If you haven't already done so, You must update Naviance Student with information about your final decision college/university. We can't send your final transcript without this information!
- You also must update Naviance with your acceptances, denials, PLUS scholarship dollars you received from merit scholarships AND outside scholarships. HINT: If a university offered you a $20,000 merit scholarship over four years, you will report that as receiving $80,000 from that university.
- WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT?? Remember how you benefited from looking at the scattergrams? Please pay it forward and help future Schreiber students with their applications. The information you share is anonymous!
- Speaking of final transcripts, they are expected to go out via Naviance the second week in July. Do not worry if your college says they are due by July 1! NY high schools are the last to graduate in the country and it takes time for finalizing/processing - colleges are aware of our timeline. Feel free to let your school know when we intend to send them.
- It's not too late to apply for scholarships! Fastweb and Scholarships.com are good places to start. You can also check Naviance, where we are adding new outside scholarships every week.
- Remember to check your Portnet email!
- NYS Excelsior Scholarship Applications are now LIVE. For information, click here.
Tips from your counselors about Regents exams
- Use the web to search for free exams from previous years
- Try Amazon or another online retailer to purchase Barron's books with practice exams and questions.
- Khan Academy or Methodize Test Prep can also be a valuable resource.
- Don't forget to use the resources provided by your teachers!
Be sure to get enough sleep before your exams. You will make it through - we believe in you!
During Quarter 4, Ms. Garcia visited freshman and sophomore classes to discuss resilience and how it helps us move forward. It has been a challenging year for many students and it's hard to believe we are getting close to the end! We are here to help and support all students during their high school journeys. A special shout-out to the Peer Helpers who have been volunteering their time during these lessons to share their Schreiber experiences. Thank you, Peer Helpers!
Join Your Counselor's Google Classroom
Passport for Good
Our Passport for Good participation is on the rise!
Passport For Good is a mobile-friendly web-based platform that simplifies, recognizes, and celebrates your engagement outside of the classroom. It allows you to journal and verify your community service, career development, and participation in extracurricular activities.
To make this transition a success, we need your help. You must first register for Passport For Good - Click the flyer below for the link and QR code to register. Once your account is activated, you are ready to begin using Passport For Good!
Some of Schreiber's clubs and groups have switched to using Passport For Good, logging their community service and career development hours directly within the platform.
Ask your Counselor if you have questions about Passport For Good.
Welcome to Methodize
Did you hear that Method Test Prep has a new name and platform? All Schreiber students have FREE access to Methodize by Method Learning. Methodize offers SAT and ACT prep courses, plus financial literacy in a comprehensive digital learning platform. Please click on the links below for more information.
COMING TO SCHREIBER GUIDANCE IN FALL 2022!
Fall College and Career Events
Choose Your Future Fair will be held in the Schreiber Lobby on Tuesday, December 6th from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm. Look for representatives from various trade schools, career representatives, and more!