Paraeducator Courses I, II, and III
The Paraeducator Generalist I certificate program is delivered in three 30-hour courses. Participants will be expected to attend one virtual session on the first of each class. The remaining hours will be asynchronous learning through online Moodle units with weekly assignments to complete the additional hours needed to receive a passing grade for this class.
Prerequisites for Obtaining Certification
· Minimum of 18 years of age
· Verification of high school completion or equivalence
· Participants must have access to a computer/internet in order to take the courses
· A minimum of 10 hours of practical experience with students demonstrating application of skills and knowledge of the Iowa Paraeducator Competencies shall be successfully completed during the class and prior to completion of this program.
· It is preferred, but not required, that participants be employed by an accredited Iowa school district as a practicing paraeducator, or work as a substitute paraeducator in an accredited Iowa school district, or have a teacher and administrator who are willing to mentor you through the certification program.
100% attendance and active participation is required.
The paraeducator course was collectively developed by Iowa's Area Education Agencies in response to the guidelines developed by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BoEE). It is designed to build the competencies of people interested in becoming paraeducators in K-12 classrooms.
The six competencies that will be covered include: Ethics and Professional Practice, Foundations, Emotions and Behaviors, Professional Relations, Learning Environment, plus Content and Instruction. Each competency has objectives, lessons, activities, assessments and requirements provided and are completed through face-to-face meetings and/or online Moodle units.
#318107 PL - Paraeducator Certification-Introduction (Foundations and Professionalism), January 6-27, 2024
#318108 PL - Paraeducator Certification Course: Instructional Support, February 10-March 2, 2024
#318110 PL - Paraeducator Certification Course: Behavioral Supports, March 16-April 6, 2024
Participants will be expected to attend one virtual session starting at 8 a.m. on the first day of each class (Saturday - Jan 6, Feb 10 and March 16). The remaining hours will be asynchronous learning through online Moodle units with weekly assignments to complete the additional hours needed to receive a passing grade for this class.
Facilitators: Kristine Randell and Marni Moody
Cost: $120 per class ($360 total) Participants will be responsible for their fingerprinting fee which ranges between $20-$35 and the application fee of $115 with the Board of Educational Examiners.
Participants must have access to the internet and iPad or laptop computer.
Registration deadline is December 29, 2023. Minimum enrollment of 10 with maximum enrollment of 14 participants.
How do I log in?
· Your login information is the same email and password that you use when logging into the AEA Training site (Mandatory Reporter, Bloodborne Pathogens, self-paced classes, etc)
· Participants creating a new account will not be able to register or view courses until the next business day
Contact for more information: Carrie Guerin, email@example.com