MGMS Family Mustang Memo
Parent/Guardian Newsletter June 1-15
In This Issue....
- Calendar of Upcoming Events
- Chromebook Collection
- 8th Grade Celebration
- DI Update
- PACT Information
- School Supplies - Purchase them Online
- Volunteer Column
- Absences & Appointments - What To Do
- Lost & Found
- The Closet
- Moving or Attending Another School
- Who to Contact
- June 1 - 6th Grade Choir Concert - 6:00pm & 7th Grade Choir Concert -7:30pm
- June 5-8 - School Spirit Week
- June 5 - Chromebook Collection Day
- June 6 - PACT Meeting - Virtual Only 7-7:30
- June 8 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL - Have a Great Summer
A LOOK AHEAD
- August 21 - 6th Grade Orientation for Last Names A-K - 9am-12pm
- August 22 - 6th Grade Orientation for Last Names L-Z - 9am-12pm
- August 23 - Orientation for 7th & 8th Graders that Have NEVER ATTENDED MGMS 9-10:30
- August 30 - Back to School Conferences - 4-7pm
- September 5 - First Day of School
- September 18 - PACT Meeting - 7pm in the Media Center
Return of Chromebook, Charger, & Bag
Our students will return their district-provided Chromebooks, chargers, and bags with straps on Monday, June 5th. Please check with your scholar to make sure they have all of their equipment. We will be collecting in science class periods throughout the day. If your scholar will be leaving school before this date, please have them come to the media center to share the final school date and be prepared to turn in the equipment at that time. We will be looking for volunteers to help us with the collection process as well, so please look for a sign-up email coming out soon. More information will be coming as we get closer, but please mark your family calendar.
8th Grade Celebration
Our 8th grade students are going to have an end of the year celebration on June 8 from 12:18-2:40. We will have lots of games, food trucks, a dunk tank, and a photo booth. Students have received their permission slip and they are DUE with PAYMENT BY JUNE 2.
Parents, WE NEED HELP. Grab a friend and sign up for a time slot to help. It's not only a time to honor our 8th graders moving on to high school, but also a time for parents to celebrate a job well done for getting our students through a whirlwind of a year! Please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up. Thank you for your consideration and your willingness to help!
Maple Grove Middle School's Bob's Improv won their regional competition in March and competed at Destination Imagination’s 2023 Global Finals Competition in KC Missouri on Monday! The event featured 28 US states, 3 Canadian Provinces and 10 Countries. What an accomplishment, way to go team!
Team Members: Anika Kasowicz, Eliza Bodin, Grace Gilles, Margot Erickson, Brooklyn Petinga, Ella Bloodgood and Kiky Iverson. Coaches: Sam Bostrom and Mary Johnson
PACT (Parents and Community Together) Update
What is PACT?
One of the only middle school PTOs in the area. Similar to elementary school PTOs, PACT is a non-profit organization of parents and staff working together to build a better, stronger community at MGMS.
Just so you know…
- Last meeting for this year - TUESDAY, JUNE 6 virtual meeting from 7-7:30 to approve updated bylaws and elect board members for next year. Check the PACT page for details on these updates: https://mgms.district279.org/families/PACT .
- Treasurer – We need one! We’re a fun group. We promise. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Looking ahead to 2023-2024 school year, we plan to:
- Partner with student leadership teams (WEB Leaders, Fuel Up to Play 60, Student Council, etc.) as they define and offer social and service events for the student body.
- Fundraise to support these events.
- Encourage parents and caregivers to lead and/or volunteer to support these events. Many of these events can only happen when we have enough parent/caregiver help and support.
- First meeting for next year – Monday September 18th at 7 PM in the Media Center. Mark your calendars!
Purchase Your School Supplies Here
WHAT TO DO...
If your child is going to be late or absent from school, please call the school with the reason for the absence. The telephone call eliminates the need to send a note with your student when he/she returns to school. Excused absences consist of illness, medical appointments, and family emergency situations such as a funeral. Oversleeping, missing the bus, or skipping school are not excused and are considered truancy.
MGMS 24 Hour Attendance Line: 763-315-7603.
If you received a call saying your child was absent one or more periods, please check your ParentVue account for the period your student was absent. Have your child talk to the teacher for the class that they were marked absent. The teacher will then communicate with our attendance person.
APPOINTMENTS/EARLY RELEASE - HERE IS WHAT YOU DO
1. Send a note with your student in the morning
2. When the student gets to school they go to Student Services to get a white pass
3. At the stated time on the pass, your student leaves class and comes to the office with the white pass and signs out in the main office
4. The person picking up can wait in the car (very helpful on cold winter days)
If you didn't send a note, you will need to come in with your driver's license and we will call your student down when you arrive.
This procedure is in place to ensure student safety.
Lost and Found
- Hairbrushes, combs, picks
- Body wash
- Bras size large and extra large
- Female underwear sizes med, large, and extra large
- Leggings- all sizes
- Male and Female Jogger pants all sizes
We are always looking for volunteers to help organize this space. If you are will to help, please reach out to Andrea Dorn at DornA@district279.org.
Student Pick Up and Drop Off
- Please only drop off and pick up students at the curb.
- No students are allowed to walk through the parking lot for safety reasons
- Please watch carefully as you pull away from the curb as staff are crossing the parking lot
- Please do not drop off or pick up students in the second lane nearest the parking lot. That is only for cars passing through.
Thank you for keeping everyone safe.
Moving or Going to Another School
WHO TO CONTACT
School Phone: 763-315-7600...............................Website: https://mgms.district279.org/
Attendance: 763-315-7603………………………………..Transportation: 763-391-7244
Jason Olson, Assistant Principal……..Email: Olsonj@district279.org
Katie Gerdts, Counselor 6th Grade......Email: GerdtsK@district279.org
Patrick Smith, Principal………………….Email: SmithPatrick@district279.org
Megan Woods, Counselor 7th Grade...Email: :WoodsM@district279.org
Jennifer Hinker, Assistant Principal.....Email: HinkerJ@district279.org
Kaia Paquin, Counselor 8th Grade.......Email: PaquinK@district279.org
Student Management Specialists Assist With All Grades
Nathanial Davies (Grade 7 & 8 A-L) – Email: DaviesN@district279.org
Levy Jones (Grade 6 & 8 M-Z) - Email: JonesL@district279.org
District Tip Line.........763-391-8660